Little Sister

My younger sister is amazing. When did she get so wise? I've been struggling with an obstacle that has come up in one of my friendships, and I turned to her because I couldn't see the forest for the trees. She showed me the forest with one simple phrase: "You want to hang on to this because you felt special."

And it is so true. Knowing that this person wanted to be my friend made me feel so special, for the first time in ages. And now that an obstacle has come up that neither one of us has any control over, I've been worried about loosing this person's friendship, worried that perhaps I never really had it to begin with, worried about loosing the connection with this person that made me feel so special. And now that I can see the forest, I can see how attempting to hold on in this way is not good for me, not good for my self-esteem. And it's not really fair to my friend, either. While I still hope that at some point the obstacle will no longer be an issue and that this person would like to continue building the friendship we found, I know now that I cannot allow myself to rely on others to make me feel special. I need to find that within myself. This is one of those habits I've carried with me for a long time, but never really saw before.

I give myself permission to embrace myself as a special person.

I am a beautiful woman,
Unique in her Kindness,
Intelligent and Loving,
Creative as a Painting,
As the music that flows through the skies,
Like a River, ever changing, ever beautiful,
singing peacefully, whole,
travelling it's course
without any worries.

--Isabelle Palmer, Copyright 2003

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I know now that I cannot allow myself to rely on others to make me feel special. I need to find that within myself."


A truer words have never been spoken. I tottally agree that we must find the fullfillment and happiness within our selfs. No external persons or objects can do this for us for very long, in the end we must find that within ourselves. We are already complete!

Rock on Sista!

Don

Anonymous said...

dito..what Don said.