Day 15 (BCII): On Camera Technique

Today we spent most of class filming our scenes, and then we watched them back on the TV. Wow, what a difference! Everyone's scenes improved so much, even just from Monday!
Our Misery scene came out really well too, from the feedback I receieved from Carrie and my classmates. My scene partner really came through in the performance, and he was actually very supportive of my efforts as well during our rehearsals since Tuesday.
While we were filming our scene, towards the end, I heard a lot of people snickering and laughing, which really distracted me, I thought, "Uh-oh, must have made the wrong choices, because this isn't supposed to be a comedic scene." But afterwards, Carrie said that the scene had really improved. I asked, "Even though everyone was laughing?" She said, "It was uncomfortable laughter because you made the character so creepy." (I had gone with the "Revenge is sweet" choices, playful and condesending, after internalizing the hurt and anger she felt for the betrayal.) At the break, several of my classmates complimented me as well on making Annie so creepy.
Watching the scene back, I can't really comment on my performance. I can see that it wasn't a bad performance, but beyond that, I haven't figured out how to objectively watch myself on video yet, I don't like watching myself. So I'll take the compliments I received from others to heart, and tell my Negative Chatter-Box: "Thanks for sharing!"
We had one-on-ones with Carrie after class, she said for me the most important things I need to be working on are focusing on the other person, fighting for my objective, and...ooo, crap I can't remember the third thing she told me...being strong, I think? We did talk about that, she told me that I am a very strong person but I don't use that in my day to day life. I agreed with her, I said I am becoming more and more aware of my inner strength, and am working on moving away from the ball of fluff that I have allowed myself to be on a day to day basis.
We also got new scenes and partners today, and it is major deja vu. I am working with the same partner I'd worked with for the neutral scene at the beginning of BCII, the scene we're doing (About Last Night) is very similar to the circumstances we had chosen for our neutral scene, and to top it off, once again, my scene partner has issues with the scene. (Different issues than my previous partner had, but he's just as unhappy.) ARG! But we're performing the scene on Monday, so I've got the script to read, lines to memorize, and analysis to do before I rehearse with my partner on Sunday, ready for a first rehearsal performance on Monday.
AND just to top that off, a couple of weeks ago I was thinking about auditioning for the musical Reefer Madness at Stages Theatre, but the auditions are tomorrow (Saturday) at 11am, when I'll be performing in A Faery Hunt!. I wrote an inquiry email two weeks ago saying I wouldn't be able to get to the audition until 2pm, would I still be able to audition at that time? I didn't receive a reply, so I figured it was most likely a "No" and put the audition out of my mind. I just received an email reply from the director 5 minutes ago: "The auditions should be going until 4 pm, come when you can." Now that the audition is tomorrow and I am absolutely not prepared, and have no time to prepare. AARRGGHH!!
* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
7:41 pm -- Okay. I'm fine. Don't Panic. It looks like that because the movie About Last Night is based on the play Sexual Perversity In Chicago by David Mamet, the movie script is not available online. And of course the play won't be available on line. So, I'll be working without knowledge of the story line. Anyone know anything about the movie, the character Debbie and her relationship with Danny??

1 comment:

Marsha Loftis said...

Just so you know, I am still reading. You know this blog could be a blook someday. Might want to think about it.