Day 9 (BCII): Meisner Plus

So, I'm definitely getting better at repetition. Scott has been telling us that when you repeat, you need to be inside the cage with the lion, not outside observing. So I was determined to be inside the cage today. We did a group repetition with two lines facing each other, one line would shift over a person every few minutes. So everyone I repeated with commented on the inner strength I was showing. I'm getting much better at voicing my view point of the other person's behavior as well. One guy, during the repetition, randomly told me I was a bad actress, so I called him an asshole, vehemently, then "You're trying to bait me!" And some people when they stepped up to repeat with me immediately ducked or side-stepped when they looked in my eyes, that really surprised me, because that happened with more than one person. And then when the first person I had repeated with got back around to me, she commented that I had changed since we started, that I had more energy. But at the same time, I also had one person comment that I was so soft, and another person comment that I was warm, and that I was the only one who was warm.
Then the second half of class we worked more with psychological gestures and our monologues, Scott had us pick a gesture we thought fit our monologue, and we all went through our gestures as a group, but Scott called on us randomly one at a time to speak our monologue after radiating the gesture. When it got to be my turn, I started out rushing, and not actually speaking to the person I was focused on. (It didn't help that the guy turned around and looked pissed that I had picked him.) But Scott coached from the side and I slowed down and started speaking to the guy, and the guy started listening, responding. So I need to work that into my performance, actually speaking to someone, I've practiced it without visualizing someone to speak to for so long, I guess it's habit now to perform it that way, even when there's someone really there to look at.
Anyhow, after class we had one-on-ones with Scott, he asked me what I felt I needed to improve the most, I said mostly just allowing myself to express my view point, not being nice about it and hiding. (which is what he had told me last week: "You've got it all going on inside of you, you just need to let your opinions out.") So in the one-on-one, Scott told me that I'm very perceptive, and again that I need to continue growing in letting my opinion about what I percieve out. He also told me that I've grown so much just in the two weeks since we started Boot Camp II, he asked me if I could see that, and I said yes. So, go me!

No comments: