Hamlet By The Sea

Last night, I went to see Hamlet in San Pedro with my sister. (Shakespeare By The Sea) It was a really good production, all of the actors on stage were as skilled as the actors I've seen at South Coast Repertory. My only disappointment with the production was that since it was performed in an outdoor ampitheater, all of the actors had to literally shout their lines, in spite of the stage being miked. Because of this, every now and again a line would feel totally melo-dramatic, but over all, it was a really good production.
Mark, my Meisner teacher from the Acting Corps, was Hamlet. This was my first opportunity to see him perform, to see him put into action what he'd been teaching us, and it was awesome to watch. He created so many beautiful moments that were honest and connected to the other actors, and he was so relaxed, alive, and creatively playful on stage.
I wish I had been able to get a closer seat. My sister and I made sure to get there an hour early, and we found a seat in the 4th row, left our pillows and blanket there while we walked around the park a bit rather than sit for an hour before the show. When we returned half an hour later, someone had moved our stuff to a bench almost at the back of the audience, and all the other seats were already saved. So that really sucked, it made a huge difference in my being able to connect emotionally with what was going on onstage. I'm really picky when it comes to theater, if I'm not sitting in the first 5 or 6 rows, I feel there's not much point in going, may as well stay home and watch TV.
Anyhow, in spite of my few disappointments, I really enjoyed the show, I'd love to go back and see it again, this time I'll guard my seat.

No comments: