Day 1 (Boot Camp II): Scene Study

Yee-Haw! Started Boot Camp II today at The Acting Corps. I was afraid that after a month off and two weeks without a Daily Acting Workout that I wouldn't be up to speed anymore, but I got right back in the groove as if I just finished last week. Yay! There are six of us from my Boot Camp I class, and the other half of the class just finished their BCI.
I went to the Daily Acting Workout this morning, I now have two tickets left which have expired, hopefully they'll extend the date so I can still use them. But once they're gone, no more DAW for me, I've been lazy and unproductive work-wise the last four weeks, and so cannot afford to buy more tickets. And I'm actually thinking that at this point it might be a good thing, because I was so worn out last time around getting there early for the DAW, and I'm not sure how much I'd learn at this point working with BCI students, I was getting much more out of the evening classes, working with the advanced and professional students. (That sounds kind of stuck up, doesn't it? I wouldn't have learned as much as I did if there hadn't been BCII students in the DAW I took when I first started.) Anyhow, the whole thing is moot, because I can't afford more tickets.
Moving on. I made a discovery this morning in the DAW. There have been so many times that I've stepped into a repetition (during a circle or three-way), and once I got in, I had no idea where to go with it. I finally figured out this morning it's because I was stepping in on an observation, not a pinch. If there's no pinch, there's no ouch, and so no where to go with the repetition. So I held back from stepping in today, looking/waiting for a pinch, and actually having a really hard time finding one, lots of observations though. So that's something I need to work on, being more connected to the repetition even when I'm not actively repeating, but at least I'm aware of it now.
The Scene Study/On Camera technique class is being taught by Carrie Dobro (from the TV show Babylon 5). She also teaches the Tuesday and Thursday morning DAWs, I really like the way she instructs. We started out the class with some warm ups, then she gave us all a copy of the same scene to analyze for given circumstance, character relationship, and objectives. She gave us 15 minutes to do this analysis individually, and then as a group we discussed what we had discovered, I found it a very helpful exercise in correctly analyzing a scene.
Then she gave us neutral scenes and paired us up. We need to come up with given circumstances, character relationship, and objectives for our neutral scenes, and she instructed us to be very specific. We have a week to rehearse, then we'll be filming the scenes on Friday for the On Camera Technique class. We need to wear costumes, bring props, and enough set dressing to suggest our location. For example if we're in a restaurant, we need to bring, plates, napkins, silverware, and glasses.
I think I've been paired up with a good partner, he seems like he's willing to work hard, we've planned to meet every morning this week an hour before class to rehearse.
I'm so glad to be back!

No comments: