Powerful Acting

I just got back from the theatre, oh my god. The acting was so good! Even though it’s late, I wanted to write about it while it was still fresh.

I actually saw two plays tonight back to back, they’re being performed at the theater with the Conservatory I’ve been accepted to, so seeing the plays tonight was complimentary. (Always nice!)

The second play, Starlight Stories, was really powerful. Very modern, a lot of swearing, even "Cyber-Grandma" swore like a sailor. The characters were extremely interesting and unusual as well. I don’t think I would have liked the play as much if the acting hadn’t been as good as it was.

I was especially impressed with Julie Hommel. Her character "Lillian" had multiple personalities, and Hommel created unique, complete and honest characters for each, and switched between them seamlessly.

I was also very impressed with Cynthia Ryanen, who played Betty (aka Cyber-Grandma), her portrayal was complete and honest and a massive force of nature.

There is no way I could do justice to the performance I saw tonight by attempting to describe it here. All I can say is, "Wow!"

The first play I saw, All In The Timing, was a Conservatory production. (The theater divides it’s season between Conservatory productions and productions with more experienced actors.) This play was a lot of fun and the acting was good. It was interesting to see the varying levels of experience/talent on stage. Again there were two actors who impressed me more so than the others, who were more connected to their characters, were more honest in their performances, and had better charisma on stage than the rest. But that’s true of most casts, I think, within the community theater circles, it’s only in the professional equity theater where every member of the cast is of equal caliber.

I want to be one of those actors that shine, that makes the audience say, "Wow!" I believe I have it in me, but I have so much to learn still. At this point in my inexperience, it is easy to doubt myself, especially after seeing the outstanding acting in the second play tonight. Just gotta keep my eye on the goal, remember that I’m better than I think I am, and be open to learning and growing.

No comments: