I’m doing so much better today. Yesterday evening, I decided I was done being stressed out, and then I took a shower to wash away all the accumulated negative energy. When I went to bed, I put on some soft New Age music and took the time to go through a conscious relaxation exercise. I spent most of today out and about running a few errands, but mostly shopping for new summer clothes which I really needed, my old clothes are getting yucky. I even got a new bathing suit, finally, after five years! Then I made ham & mushroom pizza for myself for dinner, today was good.
I had contacted Anthony, the student director I’ll be working with this weekend, about my scene partner, asked him if talking with her about our scene and our characters would be helpful, so he gave me her info and commented, "Glad to hear you’re so into this!" So I’m patting myself on the back, YAY for scoring points with the director! Even though this is a student blocking assignment, I’m treating it as a professional job, because this is my first opportunity to put myself out there. If I make a good impression now, perhaps he’ll use me for future student projects and films or refer me to his classmates, and I can get material for my reel. After he graduates, Anthony will be working in the business, and who knows, maybe he’ll be the next Steven Spielberg or something. I’m confident that I’m creating good karma for myself.
I’ve gotten in contact with my scene partner, Melissa, through the e-mail, she seems really nice. I’m looking forward to working with her. She suggested that in addition to talking on the phone, we could get together early to rehearse before we go film, which I think is awesome.
I found the script to sex, lies, and videotape on the IMSDb (Internet Movie Script Database), so I will read that instead of watching the film. Although, I have to admit that I am afraid I won’t do a good job with my first film acting opportunity. I know that film acting requires keeping the acting real and subtle, but I’m afraid that I won’t do enough, or that I’ll do too much in compensation for the fear of not doing enough. I keep reminding myself just to completely connect to my scene partner, listen and respond, trust myself, and I’ll be okay, but I’m still a little bit afraid. So from that perspective, I think maybe watching the film would be a good thing, watching Andie MacDowell’s performance, perhaps even imitating it to some extent. But on the other hand, I need to learn to build characters on my own, and to trust myself in that creative process.
Anthony moved the filming from Friday to Saturday, which conflicts with the very first STC Conservatory meeting. I contacted the Conservatory Assistant Director and asked if it would be okay for me to miss the meeting so I could do this student assignment, and she said that it would be okay since I’m calling to let her know in advance. I’ll need to go to the theater sometime next week to pick up the monthly schedule. I’m a little bit sad about missing the meeting, and the opportunity to meet the other conservatory members, but I think I’m making the right decision for myself at this time. This is a wonderful opportunity for me to learn about the technicalities of working in front of the camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment