Okay. Here's where things stand: I did not get the part in Answers, which is fine. I had written to Brian after my audition to ask for his feedback and constructive critisms, and in his response he indicated that even though the director had been open to casting a woman, it was still "a long shot that a woman was going to be cast." He also told me that I missed the opportunity to show the director something different with the second read, show that I was able to play the character differently, show that I was directable. He said that "for most directors, as soon as they've seen you do the same thing twice, they don't need to see you anymore."
Now the thing I have to keep in mind with that is that is true for first auditions, but not for second auditions in TV/Film. My acting for the camera teacher said if you get a call back, you want to do exactly the same thing that you did for the original audition that got you the call back in the first place, and adjust with any direction you are given from there.
In other news, I just got a call from the film students I submitted to on Craig's List a few weeks ago. (I thought I had written about it before, but I can't find the entry.) Anyhow, I found a listing on Craig's List a few weeks ago, some film students were looking for actors for their blocking assignments. I submitted myself along with my brand new headshot, but I hadn't heard back from them, so I had written it off. But today, one of the students left a message on my cell phone: "We're filming a scene from sex, lies, and videotape this weekend and we think you'd be perfect for it. Please call us back at your earliest convenience." I delayed calling back about 40 minutes, trying to get a hold of Cynthia (my director for A Faery Hunt) to make sure it would really be okay to say yes to the students, even if it conflicted with rehearsal this weekend. Cynthia's been really flexible and understanding about that sort of thing, because most of us in the cast are also actively auditioning for/working in commercials and TV/Film. When I finally reached her, she said she was considering rescheduling rehearsal this weekend anyways, because one of our actors who has not yet made it to a single rehearsal was going to be absent again because she has to work Saturday morning. So there seems to be less of a chance of conflict with rehearsal by working with the students.
And I really really want to work with them, this will be my first opportunity to work in front of the camera as a principle actor, it will be an awesome learning opportunity for me, and possibly something I can use on my demo reel. And there is synchronicity in this opportunity, because I have never seen sex, lies, and videotape, but it'll be playing on cable this Wednesday, I've got Tivo set up to record it for me. I mean, in my mind, that is the universe lending me a hand again, that the film just happens to be on cable in a few days when I've been invited to work on a piece from that film, and I've never seen it before. (And to be honest, I'm going nuts right now, because it's been two hours since I left them a message and they haven't called me back yet, this is as bad as waiting for a guy I have a crush on to call me back. AARRGGHH!! Okay, deep breaths, Izzie, calm down.) Thanks for sharing!
The other small syncronicity is that some of my massage clients are finally coming back. And this just after I had decided for certain that I wanted to put the business on the shelf and find a job in a day spa. So now I'm thinking maybe I'll stick with it a little bit longer, maybe that's the Universe telling me not to give up on the business just yet. Because where else am I going to find the flexibility to arrange my schedule for myself to accomodate auditions and filming (either as background or otherwise?) Still not sure about this, how it's going to work out financially, because up until now I haven't been able to pay myself for the work I do in my massage business, and I can't afford to not pay myself at this point. *sigh* We shall see...
No comments:
Post a Comment