So I've just enrolled in the Actor's Boot Camp at the Acting Corps in Los Angeles. This is a four week program with 3 hour classes 5 days a week, each class only has a maximum of 16 students. The classes included are Meisner Technique, Cold Reading, Scene Study, and Actor's Instrument (movement and voice). I enrolled in the May 29th session, because I got a $100 discount for registering a month in advance.
There are also two required books: A Practical Handbook For The Actor, which I have already, I have mixed feelings about this book. The simplicity of the acting technique for creating emotional truth is very appealing to me, but the book does little to instruct on how to create a character, or any of the other fine technical skills needed for a top notch performance. And I've had some difficulty applying the technique effectively, but perhaps it goes hand in hand with Meisner, and having a teacher to watch what I'm doing and instruct me how to do it correctly will be helpful as well.
The other required book is Sanford Meisner On Acting. I found it used on Amazon.com for less than $6! (Beats paying what the Acting Corps would have charged me for both books new.) I was reading some of the reviews of this book, and most were positive, but a few commented on Meisner himself, saying he seemed to be taking his psychological and emotional baggage out on his students and kicking people out of class because according to his judgment they had no talent--I hope the instructors at the Acting Corps aren't like that. Especially since the classes are so expensive and there are no refunds.
2 comments:
Sandy Meisner may have been an old curmudgeon but his method rocks! I think you will love it. Out of all the various classes I have taken the Meisner was the best. Enjoy!
Don
Hi, I'm thinking of taking this course - I'd be interested in hearing how you found it?
Many thanks and hope all's going well!
Kate
Post a Comment