Saying The Lines

I watched Misery the other day, I was curious to see the choices Kathy Bates made with the character, and with the scene I did for class. I was really surprised because she did so much less than I did. She just stood there, very practical, every excuse Paul came up with she blew off as if reciting facts, held out the matches to him again. And the thing that surprised me the most about her overall performance through the whole movie was most of the times she just said the lines, straight forward. Didn't put anything more behind them, or try to Say The Lines. And I think that's what I've been clinging to, an old acting habit of Saying The Lines, performing them, self-starting just a bit (self-starting is when you manufacture the emotions you think you "should be" feeling in a scene, as opposed to letting the other person and the circumstances genuinely affect you). So now I have two things to focus on in my acting: Doing something to the other person (and not giving up on my goal) and just saying the lines. Much easier said than done!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found misery to be a very disturbing movie. I couldn't watch the whole thing.

Iziezi said...

I watched the whole thing. I used to love horror when I was younger, and while I still do like the occasional scary movie, I don't watch them nearly as much any more. I refuse to watch the gory ones at all, blood & guts are not scary to me, just gross.

Anonymous said...

I can watch alien scary movies but I don't like the religious kind or serial killers. The thought of someone being that evil sends chills up my spine.