When Harry Met Sally

I don't know whether to laugh with joy or scream with frustration. I had submitted myself on Now Casting for an Art Institute of CA film student scene, and the student director just called me to set up an audition time! BUT the audition is Tuesday evening, on the third day (of five) for the movie I'm doing background for. I explained my circumstances to him, and he said, "Well, give me a call if anything changes." So then I offered that I'd be available on Friday to audition, how did his schedule look on Friday? He checked and said he had something else going on that day. (I'm freaking out now, after the fact, that I had the guts to ask him that!) So then I asked how late he'd be holding auditions on Tuesday, he told me from 5pm to 10pm. So I asked if I could call him on Tuesday if it looked as though we'd be wrapped early enough for me to make it to the auditions, he said yes. It really depends on what time we start in the morning, if we start early enough and we get wrapped after 12 hours (or sooner), I might be able to make the audition.
I'm also wondering how unprofessional it would be for me to ask the AD if I could be wrapped a little early that day so that I could audition... =/ It seems to me that it would be unprofessional.
I'm hoping the Universe will put in a helping hand here one way or the other!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is my opinion. Don't ask to leave early on the background stuff. I am no expert, but that is my 2 cents on that. For the other, my advice is to always remember that this is not the last audition you will get, auditions are a dime a dozen, so if you miss it dont fret, plenty more. I used to get so focused on these things as if it was the last one in the world, but after a while I relized that there are just plenty of them, and you can miss a few no problems.

So psyched to see you keeping rocking on this acting thing! When ever I need inspiration I can come here and read your blog!

DOn

Iziezi said...

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your support! Another friend also told me pretty much the same thing, that auditions are a dime a dozen. I'm just psyched that I got a call, that my headshots are actually working! And that a student director from the Art Institute wanted me to audition, the AI is a very prestigious film school, it would rock if I got the part, it would look really good on my resume, and be the first footage for my reel. That's why I'm chomping at the bit on this one, at any audition really at this point. I'm sure the Universe will work things out the way they're supposed to be.

Thanks again for your support, Don!
--Isabelle

Anonymous said...

Hi honey. Not sure if you should ask to leave early. I would recommend that you get a peek at the sides in the morning to see how long the day will go, if there will be background needed towards the end of the day, and then just try and balance out both. Hopefully you can make it to the audition but if not - there will be others. Besides you never know if you are passing up an opportunity at an upgrade by asking to leave early.

Hope it all works out.