I've been thinking about my audition today. I think maybe I didn't give Eugene what he was looking for, without even realizing it. Carrie and Scott both told us in class to throw everything we've rehearsed out the window, and just have fun with our scenes, play with whatever Eugene gave us. He wasn't looking for a result-oriented performance.
During our scene today, once we finally got into it, Eugene did coach me a couple of times "Enjoy it!" And while I did adjust my performance some, overall the scene felt very intense, serious. There was one moment even when I pulled a match out of the box myself and almost lit it in anger because Paul wasn't giving in. And while I was much more open to following my impulses like that within the scene, I think I was focused on doing it right--being connected to my partner, to the moment, to my action--and there was a lot of anger underneath that I had created with my psychological gestures and internalizing of the given circumstances. I don't know that it was playful enough in the way that Eugene was looking for. And that would explain why he didn't really say anything to me after. If you don't give a director or CD what they're looking for, don't respond to their direction, they say "Thank you." And that's the end of that.
And that would really suck if I finally managed to pull off the scene (which I think I was able to do), but it wasn't what Eugene was looking for at all from the audition. Nothing to do but give in to the irony of that, if that is the case. (Which might very well be true, but I couldn't possibly comment.) *sigh*
I'll know by Friday, I guess.
1 comment:
Don't count yourself out, babe. Try not to convince yourself that you've failed or you will fail. Just like how you said you need to focus on the objective in a scene (Get Paul to burn his book) the same is true in life.
I believe in you.
Post a Comment