Today was okay. Michelle gave more time to each of the scenes this time around, which was great! But I was feeling extremely frustrated because D. is having a hard time wrapping his head around the concept of an action. I can understand where he's coming from because I had a really hard time with this too, and I wasn't able to effectively explain any of it to him because I've just barely got my head wrapped around it myself. There's a list of 8 things that an action should and should not be (from A Practical Handbook For The Actor) . An action is what your character wants to do to the other character or get from the other character, ie "boost a friend's confidence" or "demand an apology".
Anyhow, D. came over yesterday so we could work together, and we really didn't get anything accomplished. We sat down and unsuccessfully tried to brainstorm actions we could use for our scene, so finally we gave up and just played around with different charicatures, then D. had to leave. But the playing opened up my creative mind, and I came up with a bunch of different actions we could use after he left. We had agreed to get together before class to work some more, I showed him my list, but he still didn't seem to understand what to do with it. We tried running my favorite idea, (the doctor was holding her prisoner) but D. didn't seem to understand how to play with the idea. So when it was our turn to show the scene in class, we ended up showing pretty much the same thing we'd done on Friday.
But we got new scenes and scene partners today. I'll be working with L., she's really awesome. And the scene that Michelle gave us is really intense, from Between Daylight and Boonville by Matt Williams. (I'm really glad she gave this to me, because it shows that she believes I can handle the material, and/or that the material will stretch me.) The scene is between best friends whose husbands are trapped in a mine after an explosion. They've been waiting for two hours for any news and have heard nothing yet. Their conversation turns to where their lives are at right now, my character Marlene has her husband up on a pedestal, and L's character Carla tells Marlene that her husband has been having an affair. Marlene refuses to listen, but then in the end confesses that she's known about the affair from the very beginning.
And this is the scene that will be recorded on camera at the end of Boot Camp I and will serve (I believe) as our audition for Boot Camp II.
And I'm a little bit frustrated with myself because in the Daily Acting Workout this morning during the repetition exercises, a couple of people told me I needed to back off but I didn't listen. Very bad, not listening. I was too busy enjoying being myself, I guess, showing myself off unapologetically. I only realized later this afternoon that I hadn't been listening. =(
Anyhow, D. came over yesterday so we could work together, and we really didn't get anything accomplished. We sat down and unsuccessfully tried to brainstorm actions we could use for our scene, so finally we gave up and just played around with different charicatures, then D. had to leave. But the playing opened up my creative mind, and I came up with a bunch of different actions we could use after he left. We had agreed to get together before class to work some more, I showed him my list, but he still didn't seem to understand what to do with it. We tried running my favorite idea, (the doctor was holding her prisoner) but D. didn't seem to understand how to play with the idea. So when it was our turn to show the scene in class, we ended up showing pretty much the same thing we'd done on Friday.
But we got new scenes and scene partners today. I'll be working with L., she's really awesome. And the scene that Michelle gave us is really intense, from Between Daylight and Boonville by Matt Williams. (I'm really glad she gave this to me, because it shows that she believes I can handle the material, and/or that the material will stretch me.) The scene is between best friends whose husbands are trapped in a mine after an explosion. They've been waiting for two hours for any news and have heard nothing yet. Their conversation turns to where their lives are at right now, my character Marlene has her husband up on a pedestal, and L's character Carla tells Marlene that her husband has been having an affair. Marlene refuses to listen, but then in the end confesses that she's known about the affair from the very beginning.
And this is the scene that will be recorded on camera at the end of Boot Camp I and will serve (I believe) as our audition for Boot Camp II.
And I'm a little bit frustrated with myself because in the Daily Acting Workout this morning during the repetition exercises, a couple of people told me I needed to back off but I didn't listen. Very bad, not listening. I was too busy enjoying being myself, I guess, showing myself off unapologetically. I only realized later this afternoon that I hadn't been listening. =(
No comments:
Post a Comment