Day 18 -- Actor's Instrument

Tuesday night I listened to my Chakra Suite CD as I fell asleep, the music is specifically designed to realign your chakras. But when I woke up Wednesday morning, I was still very raw and hurt from the repetition exercise the day before. And I decided, considering how I felt and considering how fried my brain had been, that I would skip the Daily Acting Workout and sleep in for once, two whole hours extra. And then when I did get up, I spent 20 minutes playing piano before I started to get ready to leave for class, songs expressing what I felt. And my kitty was so sweet to me, she let me snuggle her much more than she usually does, and she sat next to me on the piano bench, purring and meowing at me, putting her paw on my arm as if to say, "It's okay, Mommy."
By the time I got to class, somehow I felt better. I felt clean, clear, fresh, open, new. The pain was still there, but it felt more like a physical injury, like a pulled muscle, you feel the pain but it doesn't affect you emotionally.
The Actor's Instrument class was awesome. We explored movement, voice and gestures as they related to ourselves and to the characters in our scenes. At first I was having a hard time with my character because she is so guarded and contained, but then with Kennedy's encouragement I allowed myself to explore my character beyond the confines of the scene script, below the surface of her protective walls.

No comments: