Evil Monkey Empire

Okay, I have a new plan because I can't stand data entry. Not as much as I hated being receptionist at my uncle's business, but it comes in a close second. So my new plan is this. Go sign up with Central Casting on Monday, and start booking my butt for extra work. I was going to wait until after my acting class in June, but the data entry is really wearing me down and making me unhappy. So, I will sign up and attempt to book myself which is a challenge all it's own, but there's really no point in getting a booking agent for $65/month right now if I'm going to be unavailable for the whole month of June. I'm also planning to actually advertise my massage business instead of relying on word of mouth referrals. I can advertise in the show program at Stages Theatre (where I'm in the conservatory program) for a modest fee, hopefully I'll get some new clients out of it.
The Don Juan Project will be dark this weekend, I guess pretty much the entire cast is going to a wedding. But the improv group Evil Monkey Empire will be having a 24 Hour Theatre Blitz at Stages on Saturday, and I've volunteered to run lights for that. It would have been a fun challenge to be an actor in the Blitz, but the (real) preview for A Faery Hunt! is Saturday morning and I wouldn't be able to get to Stages until 12:30 or 1 pm. As I understand it, the Blitz goes like this: Friday evening around 8 pm, six playwrights each randomly pull a topic out of a hat, and then spend the entire night writing a 10-20 minute one act play based on the topic. At 7 am on Saturday morning, six directors each pull a play title out of a hat, and that's the one they're directing. The characters for all six plays, separated by gender, are randomly pulled out of hats by the actors, and the eleven hour rehearsal begins. At 6 pm Saturday evening, the plays are teched, and at 8 pm they are performed for an audience. There is no way I could be an actor since I'd be missing literally half the rehearsal time. But I get to learn lights, so I'll be technically multi-talented (sound & lights).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Extra work is cool. You get to see the biz you want to be in close up. You learn alot, and alot of big actors started as extras, so go for it.

Don

Anonymous said...

I hate data entry too! Been there, done that and don't wish to go back. I always seem to follow Don Foley with these comments. I swear I am not stocking him. It just keeps happening. :)