Day 10: Scene Study

So, I memorized that David Mamet scene over several mornings while driving in to L.A. Traffic always slows down to stop and go somewhere along the way, and so I would drive two inches, stop, grab another line or two, drive a foot, stop, grab another line...I got half the scene memorized that way on Wednesday morning.

I was really disappointed with the way class went on Friday however. Michelle spent nearly an hour playing with the first scene, then 30 minutes on the next scene, which left only 10 minutes each for the rest of us.

But most of the scenes were really fun to watch (which is why the time went by so fast and unnoticed until it was too late). Once Michelle helped us discover our actions, everyone did really well, it really brought the scenes to life.

She had us play with saying our lines moving forwards, backwards, or holding our ground as our instincts dictated. Then she added action, asking us what we wanted from the other person. My first choice was I wanted an apology from the Doctor. His choice was he needed me to leave so he could get on with more important things. Michelle told us just to sit and take each other in for a moment before we started to say our lines. So I looked at "The Doctor" (D.) thinking to myself, "You owe me an apology you f-ing son of a bitch." After a moment I heard the rest of the class rustle uneasily in reaction to watching us take each other in. So then we started the scene, and in a few moments we were full on yelling at each other, I was so angry at him without even trying. Then Michelle stopped us, and gave us new actions. D. was trying to ask me out on a date, and I was talking to a special needs child. This went well too, because my frustration and anger was clearly visible even though I was speaking in a calm, even tone, (again without my trying) and then D. mananged to charm me momentarily, the class laughed at that. My biggest problem with the whole exercise was everytime I heard a reaction from the audience I broke from the scene, from my action. I also noted (after the fact) that each time she stopped us, I immediately went into little girl mode.

The really interesting thing I'm learning from all of this is if you focus on your action and the other person instead of on manufacturing emotion, it's very easy to jump into the moment at the snap of a finger, and it's just as easy to let go of afterwards (in general).

No comments: