So last night, I worked on writing my story from about 10:30pm until midnight. I was right in the middle of a scene, but my eyes were starting to roll from fatigue. So I turned off my computer. Not from the "Start: Turn Off Computer" option in the main menu, but by reaching down and pushing the power button. I have no clue why I did that. I never do that. But last night, I did.
I went to the file just now to open it and continue working. WordPerfect tells me the file is an unknown format and it cannot open it. CRAP! I try converting it from different file types, but I am not able to restore the file. Crap crap crap. Everything I've written is gone. It didn't occur to me to make a back up file on disk.
The only reason I am not absolutely screaming and pulling my hair out is that I printed out a copy for my Mom to read earlier this week. It's about 10 pages long, and I've completely lost the three pages I wrote last night. So, I get to re-type the whole thing from the print out. It's gonna be a pain to do, but better than not having anything left at all.
But as I retype the first scene, it's rubbing me the wrong way. I don't like it anymore, (especially since it was written in novel-style and not pseudo-script-style the way I've started writing the rest of the story). My sister said it was average and typical, the usual opening formula. But as much as I want to re-write that part of the story, I don't have any better ideas yet, and I really really need to stay focused on finishing a first draft, and then going back to re-write.
And as soon as I'm done re-typing, I am creating a back up file on my Flash drive, just in case. 10 pages is a pain, but if it got to be longer than that, and I lost the file again and had to re-type everything or lost a chunk longer than 3 pages, I think I'd have a hard time "starting over".
No comments:
Post a Comment