I'm a little bit down at the moment. I finally got myself booked as background for tomorrow, but it turns out the studio is located in Santa Clarita... 65 miles from where I live. And the stupid thing is it said on the casting notice that they're filming in Santa Clarita, but I went and booked myself on it before I found out how far a drive it is.
And I did not have appropriate wardrobe for this at all, so I went to the mall this evening and bought some stuff. Spent twice as much on wardrobe as I'll get paid for this. But since my wardrobe is practically non-exsistant, what I bought will (hopefully) be usable for other bookings as well. I feel like I'm not very good at picking out wardrobe, picking out clothing that will work for other projects. The upscale sweaters I picked should be useful for other things, but the muted-color casual stuff I bought, dunno. Anyhow...
Another thing that I'm struggling with still is learning exactly what it means to be professional on set. After my "featured" moment on the movie last week, I couldn't help but wonder if an opportunity would present itself out of that. I knew better than to ask for a SAG voucher, but I began to wonder if I'd had business cards if it would have been appropriate to give the AD my card with the hopes he'd keep me in mind for auditions. Again, I knew better than to ask directly, but the next morning, I was checked in by the same AD, so I asked him, "How are you doing today?" He replied, "Fine, thank you." But he did not make eye contact, and it seemed to me there was a huge "Caution: Do Not Cross" line that hadn't been there before. And I don't know if that's because I was carrying that hopeful attitude and he picked up on that, or if that's simply his defense mechanism from working in the business so long. I wrote to Bob Fraser to ask his advice regarding this, I have his permission to post his response:
Dear Isabelle,
Standing in close proximity to a principal is not a "featured" position.There really isn't any sort of "featured" extra. Since the dissolution of SEG (Screen Extras Guild) those sorts of categories are a thing of the past. If one of the AD's compliments your work, say "thanks" and let it go. It is a much quicker path to where you want to be if you are someone they are not afraid to talk to ... for fear of being "sold." It is the #1 hassle that they have to deal with - an extra trying to sell themselves as an actor. If you wait until the end of the day (when you're checking out) and hand your card to the AD in question with a "loved working here would love tocome back" sort of remark, you may help your cause. But don't expect a good result if you approach anyone in production with the suggestion that you might be considered for speaking roles - everyone who does that is avoided, from then on. Your goal will come without your direct suggestion - if you do your job well, efficiently and without causing any problems for the production. In other words, when you're an extra - be a professional extra and that's all. The acting part comes later and from different procedures (i.e.Submissions sent to casting). Hope that helps.
Have a great one and, as always ...Much Success,
Bob Fraser
* * * * * * * * * * *
You Must Act! The #1 Acting Career Course On The Net
http://www.youmustact.com
* * * * * * * * * * *
Headshot Secrets Revealed - Get A Great Headshot That Gets You Called In
* * * * * * * * * * *
Bob Fraser's Show Biz U - "Not Just A Seminar ...An Education"
Sessions Now Booking
http://www.showbizu.com
* * * * * * * * * * *
Subscribe to Bob's free monthly newsletter, Show Biz How-To, by going here:
http://www.showbizhowto.com
* * * * * * * * * * *
And that's something I'm still learning, how to talk to the PAs or whoever on the set without feeling like I'm coming across as fake, or looking as if I'm trying to sell myself. Not that I am trying to sell myself, I'm trying to be nice because being nice is good, and I feel like sometimes I come across as fake, which can also look like I'm trying to sell myself. So most of the time I just don't talk to them, just be my introverted self. I'm working on saying "Good morning!" cheerfully when I check in, and "Goodnight" when I leave, but even that, sometimes the PAs or ADs don't respond. I don't know if it's me or if it's them. And this is so much more complicated in my head than I can possibly explain here, I feel like this is half-explained babbling.
Anyhow, I have to get up at 2:30 am to leave by 3:30am to be at the studio by 5:30, call time 6 am. Please, for goodness sake, somebody remind me next time I'm booking msyelf that Santa Clarita is too frickin far away. At least I won't have to worry about traffic.
2 comments:
Bob Fraser's letter was very nice...and informative. Very interesting indeed.
Hey babes... I totally feel where you are coming from with this post. In many ways. I'm going through a lot of the same things right now. It's so hard to gauge what is the right thing to say, how to approach people. Who knows. Hopefully everything just works out the way it's supposed to, you know?
And it will.
Post a Comment