Life Outside the LiveMansion

So, LiveMansion: The Movie -- Round 3 finished yesterday at midnight. I had a total of 118 votes for the role of Mee-gan. They won't announce until next week who the Top 3 Winners are. But unless something radical changes in the votes of other due to possible cheating, etc, I didn't get nearly enough votes to be in the Top 3. The Top 3 for each role were displayed (without total number of votes) up until a few days before the Round finished, and I wasn't in the Top 3, and I'm 99% sure I won't be. I discovered earlier in the week that early on in Round 3, maybe 2 or 3 weeks in, they briefly showed the Top 3 at that time with the number of votes they had. Apparently, the Top 3 already had something like 400 votes already. I registered at the beginning of the 5th week in the Round. How many more votes did the leaders have by then??

And I'm wrestling with regret. I quit promoting last weekend when I discovered the Top 3 had at least 400 votes. I realized I was wasting my time by promoting because there was no way I would be able to catch up. I was pestering my friends and family, and total strangers on the LiveMansion site for no reason. If I had known the leaders already had that many votes when I registered for Round 3, I probably wouldn't have promoted at all. But I am wrestling with the fact that I gave up. I decided that I didn't know how to get that many votes, I didn't know enough people to get that many votes, that nothing I could do would get me that many votes, and I gave up. And that makes me feel not so good about myself. But at the same time, I was SO SICK of spending so much time on the computer, with the precious moments of my life passing me by, for a chance at something I wasn't sure I valued.

But at the same time, I now have a better understanding of the "new actors can't be choosers" theory. The new season of Extras started a couple of weeks ago, and the first episode finds Terry on the set of his new sitcom, rehearsing for the pilot episode. The sitcom was supposed to be his project, but so many other people from the studio have put their fingers in the batter, so to speak, that it is no longer the comedy that he wanted to make. It's become a cheap piece-of-fluff comedy, when he wanted to make a real comedy, a high quality show that would stand the test of time. He feels like he's sold out on his dream. He stood up to the producers and told them this, and they basically said "Do the comdey or you're fired, back at the bottom of the totem pole (as background actor)with all your bridges burnt". So he decided to do the comedy. So that, combined with all the TV shows I've seen recently that are produced by the actors starring in them, have taught me that maybe sometimes you have to sell out in the beginning in order to build & establish the professional foundation and credibility and what-not that you need in order to be able to produce your own TV show.

So even if I don't admire the types of films that the production company behind LiveMansion makes, perhaps it would have been an opportunity that would have helped my career, helped establish me as a professional actor, created a stepping stone towards the types of projects that I am interested in being a part of. Which is another reason why I regret giving up on the contest.

No comments: