Realizations

First: I asked my potential commercial agent if he'd be sending me to both SAG and Non-Union commercials, and he said he'd only be sending me to SAG commercials that had specifically stated they were interested in auditioning NU talent. Realization: That means any audition he sends me to, there is the immenent possibility of being Taft-Hartleyed. Holy Sh*t!! Have you seen my resume? I don't have a body of work built yet!

On the one hand, I've heard that it's better not to join SAG until you have a body of work, that you're screwing yourself over if you join with a minimal resume, because once you're SAG you can no longer work NU projects (which is the primary way to get experience and build your resume and demo reel) and so then in auditions you're putting yourself up against all the SAG actors that do have a resume and reel, do have the experience.



But, on the other hand, this is a really big opportunity, my friend brought me this opportunity, the Universe brought me this opportunity, it's time to put up or shut up, right? I'd be stupid not to go for it, right? I should trust that the Universe brought me this opportunity for a reason and go with that, right? Trust that I have the skill (Ok, that's a hard one for me, since I don't have a whole lot of outside-of-the-classroom experience yet, how can I have skill without experience??), trust that I have the talent, trust that the Universe is taking me in the direction I need to go, trust that I will learn what I need to learn as I move forward.



The Universe has brought me so many opportunities in non-acting areas of my life, brought me to the people who wanted to help me along my way on my non-acting path, and I chose not to follow through on those opportunities because it seemed like the right choice at the time, I didn't trust that following those opportunities would not lead me away from acting. Looking back, I also see immaturity and perverse thinking in my choices not to follow through on the opportunities. And my life certainly is NOT any better for my choices, for passing on those opportunities. I'm still in the same place in life that I was before.

And now the Universe has brought me an acting opportunity. It's time to go with it, come hell or high water. The Universe wouldn't bring me an opportunity that will screw me over. I have to believe that. Life isn't about saying "No" to opportunities because they might ruin my logical, theoretical plans. Take a deep breath and trust.




It's time to close my eyes and leap.

It's time to try defying gravity...

--Wicked, The Musical




Second: I've just discovered that my blog is listed on the MySpace News beta -- Acting page.

I guess the first thing is to say "Welcome" to any readers who come to me from there, I hope you will find what I write entertaining, educational, and will want to come back to read more! Feel free to leave a comment if you want, you don't have to register, simply choose either "Other" to create a link to your blog/webpage, or "Anonymous" under the comment options.


I am actually a bit astounded that I am listed there. But excited, I think it's a good thing. Between this and the other professional working actor who has linked to my blog, it seems like I'm starting to make a place for myself in the professional world. (Not that all of the blogs listed on the MySpace News page are professional, but just the fact that whoever works at MySpace News decided my blog was interesting and entertaining enough to list--WOW! Thank you! I'm also really exicted that my very good blog friend Kat is also listed on the news page.) But my blog being brought more to the public's attention, and the professional acting world's attention also brings a realization of sorts: It seems that it would be in my best interest to start writing more like a professional, instead of an unsure, hopeful wanna-be. And even if I'm already managing to sound professional while I'm writing, I need to start seeing and thinking of myself as a professional, especially since I'm standing in the doorway of joining SAG, presumably in the next couple of months. (EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! OMG!!!!! Sorry, just had to let that out...) Perhaps that's what's been holding me back before now, not entirely believing deep down inside that I could actually be a working professional with real world results. It's time to make the transition, and leave old habits and beliefs behind. Time to step into new shoes, a new way of thinking. And I am so ready for it!

4 comments:

krt said...

The question I was asking as I read this was, 'Why WOULDN'T you join?'

Resume and reels only get you so far. You still have to walk in their door and deliver for them. Passing on the opportunity now might mean a very long time before it comes again.

One other thing. This is talk about a maybe/possible future. The time to burn that bridge is when you get to it. :)

Iziezi said...

Hey krt,

Thank you! =) I appreciate the reminder!

And I have no intention of passing on this opportunity, but I had to let out those thoughts in order to see how perverse and non-productive they are.

Anonymous said...

Hey Isabelle!

Loving the blog, been reading it since I wrote you. But just catching up :)

I had a question. Would you suggest trying to get a commercial agent now, if I am wanting to head out to L.A next year?

Also, exactly how would I go about looking for a commercial agent? I'm closest to Chicago. I'd appreciate your advice!

Angel

magickat said...

It is so crazy that our blogs are listed there - but also flattering. It's interesting that people read what we have to say for whatever reason they do: comfort, solidarity, advice, humor. Not sure how we got on the list but it's obviously for something, right?

And I am Pro-SAG in case you are taking votes.