OOHH! The DRAMA!

I swear the hardest part for me in all of this is figuring out how I'm supposed to look. Somehow, when I make my own hairstyle choices, my own clothing choices, I just miss the target, in spite of watching What Not To Wear on a regular basis.


So I gave my hairstylist the parameters (I wanted side-swept bangs, just longer than shoulder length, and appropriate for 23-27, young mom/business look). And Voila! I've actually got a really good hairstyle this time! Although I was freaking out this morning, because most of my hair is still curly, and I tried to straighten it while it was still wet so all I got was a frizzy mess. I spent the morning yelling "Shitty-Shitty-SHIT-Shit!!" (with thanks to Stephen Fry for coining the phrase in his book Hippopotumus.) Anyhow, I called my stylist in a panic, because my hair just looks pathetic in this style if I leave it curly, and she gave me some tips. And then it occured to me to try again with the flat iron once my hair had air-dried. And Voila! I got my hair pretty much straight, no problem!


The next step was to buy a couple of tops for my new headshots. So I grabbed a good friend of mine who has good taste in clothing, and she helped steer me clear of the clothing that wouldn't look as good as I think it might -- I tend to gravitate towards clothes my grandma might wear, or cheaper-looking casual clothes. So after 3 hours of shopping, I found one shirt. It's a light blue business blouse that I can wear under a navy business jacket I had bought previously. So now I have a sharp upscale lawyer/detective look for my upcoming headshots. We didn't quite find a young mom look, we were thinking a sweater set, but the lighter colored sets will wash me out, and the darker colored sets just didn't say "young mom" to me. I've got it in my head that stereotypical young moms don't wear dark colors. (Hollywood is all about stereotypes.) And then I was worried, also, about the color palette of my new headshot set; if I was wearing all blues, turquoises, and greens (which are the colors that look best on me in photographs--plum also looks good on me), then my overall profile page would be boring. Which, it now occurs to me as I'm writing this, isn't necessarily something I should be concerned about, because the CDs will only see one picture with my submission, not the whole page with 4-6 different looks. *sigh*


This part is by far the hardest part for me. But I'm learning.

1 comment:

Danne Len Cole said...

I have a similar problem with my hair. Its got a natural wave to it and it really stands out if it air drys. I found this stuff that works really well for me, its called smoothing milk. The official brand is Garnier Fructis Style Smoothing Milk. It comes in a medium size light green bottle. I get the the strong type. What I do is wash, towel dry a little, put the smoothing milk thru my hair, blow dry and then flat iron. A lot of work but it works for me. Just a suggestion. :) Have fun getting your new headshots!!! :)