I'm driving out to LA to go to the evening Daily Acting Workout, and I get a call from Cynthia, my director for A Faery Hunt!, she is teaching a children's workshop tomorrow and our Faery Queen had to cancel due to an emergency. Am I available to help teach the workshop?
Um...Yes! I've already expressed an interest in working with Cynthia when she takes the show into the school system, and this is along those lines. The workshop tomorrow will be held in the Huntington Beach Art Center.
Cynthia sent me a break down of the workshop, and it looks awesome! I am so excited to be a part of it. We start out the workshop in our faery characters telling a couple of short stories. Cynthia will be telling the story of the Simurg, the prince that was placed under a curse. I think I'll tell the story of how Appleblossom and the Troll got to be friends. I get to make that up before tomorrow morning, eek! I'm going to base it on what happens in the weekend show, however, so at least I've got an outline.
For the next part of the workshop, we take our faery wings off and teach the children about how actors prepare to be part of a show. We'll guide them through a dramatic play activity in which the children will explore different animals through sound and movement.
Next is a laughing exercise, the goal of which is to experience healthy, positive laughter, and identify "bad" or harmful laughter.
The third exercise, Dreaming Exercise, helps children learn to set goals and dreams and find ways to overcome obstacles to meet those goals and dreams.
At the end of the workshop, each of the children is presented a certificate of completion, presented to them by the Faery Queen, which in this case will be me! Woo-Hoo! Queen Apple Blossom, for a day!
Doesn't the workshop sound awesome?! I am so excited, because I've never done any sort of teaching before, but this is such a great program, and Cynthia says as long as we're having fun, the children will have fun as well. And in regard to the animal activity, I feel especially prepared to help teach that part, just coming out of Boot Camp I, observing how my teachers taught me, and understanding movement now. Of course, I'm nervous as well, because there's no script, I'll be ad-libbing the whole thing, but I think it will be a lot of fun! I think I'm going to learn just as much from this experience as the children will!
1 comment:
It does sound wonderful. I was have loved to go to a workshop like that when I was a kid.
Post a Comment