Adventures in Faery Land

Well, as of now, five hours before the start of the 48 Hour Film Project, I have not heard back regarding my audition. It may be that they're holding off on the casting decision until this evening when they get their genre, and/or have started writing the script, but since they said they'd be letting us know in a day or two (Weds or Thurs), I'm thinking they've decided not to use me. Which I'm disappointed about, because I requested tomorrow off from the Faery Hunt so I could be available for this, and Cynthia ended up having to cancel the show altogether because two of the other actors had also requested the day off, and we don't have enough alternate actors to cover the show yet.

Speaking of A Faery Hunt! it's high time I updated how that show has been going. I did receive a single picture of the cast from Cynthia, but at the time my modem was on the fritz, and I didn't want to download the pic onto a different computer, and somehow the e-mail with the pic got deleted by the time I got my modem working again. =/ Sorry guys.

Last weekend was the first weekend that we had a large(r) group of children at the show. There were about 10 or 12 children, most dressed up in their fairy costumes, and a couple of little boys dressed as Peter Pan and one of the Lost Boys with a cape. The children were very interactive, this was the first crowd we had where we didn't have to draw the children out of their shells. I was almost overwhelmed in my first appearance, because after I said, "My name is Appleblossom, what are your names?" The children just all started talking to me about this and that, and I was like, how do I get back to the script without ignoring what the children are saying to me? But Francis and Elise (aka Cynthia & Pat) rescued me, they jumped in with their next line to move the show forward. And these kids were so freaking smart! In order for them to meet the Faery Queen, I'm supposed to teach them how to bow and curtsey. But I always ask first, "How many of you have ever met a Queen before?" If one or two of the children raise their hands, I say, "Wonderful, then you must know how to curtsey! Do you?" So this time, I think four or five of the children raised their hands, and when I asked about curtseying, all the children went ahead and curtseyed. Wow! And I also teach the children the song I sing to call the Faery Queen: (to the tune of "Angel of Music" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera)"Queen of the Faeries, I do call you! Enter at last, my Queen!" The kids picked that up really quickly as well (at least comparatively to the smaller, quieter groups we've had up until now). I was blown away.

Then towards the end of the show, the Troll and the Simurg fight using sticks as swords, and one of the boys had a small wooden sword and he was ready to jump right in and fight as well, I literally had to physically hold him back. He was very disappointed.

And my faery wings are damaged. Two weeks ago, the elastic broke on one side, and we were able to pin the wings on using a safety pin just before the show started. And I completely forgot to sew it back together before last weeks show, and I almost had to go wingless. (Yikes!) We'd had to change the path of the show because a birthday party that wasn't supposed to be there until noon was sitting right in the middle of our show path, 5 or 6 tables, a bouncy house, pirate flags. So the new path put my station directly across the path from the sign in area. I was under a huge tree, and if the children had looked over, they would have seen me. So I decided not to put my wings on until they left the sign in station, just in case they looked. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.) So the show was already well under way when they moved to Lillishine's station (the one before mine) and I tried to put my wings on, but the safety pin wasn't holding the elastic, it kept popping open. On a normal show day, I'm behind the bushes with the Faery Queen, but with this different route, the Queen was down the path quite a ways, I didn't have anyone to help me. I saw David (our Simurg) nearby, not yet in costume because the show wouldn't reach his station for another 15 or 20 minutes. I called him over, and he tried to get the pin to hold, meantime Lillishine was almost done with her speil and ready to move the show on to me. "Just tie the elastic, quick!" I said. So he did, and my wings were sitting very crookedly, but the show was already moving towards me, and I needed to be visible as they approached, so on with the show!

I'm going to the sewing store tonight to buy new elastic, so that A) the straps will be long enough and B) I'm hoping to find some pretty, elasticized lace so that they don't look quite so obviously like straps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! For lots of reasons. I'm glad you are talking about ...Faery again, too.

That's great that you are doing the curtsey to the tune of "Angel of Music". Brilliant!