Sprechen sie Deutsch?

I received an e-mail from the director of Boeing-Boeing yesterday, saying that she's holding more auditions this weekend and I could come down and read again if I wanted, but if I couldn't make it, she'd understand, "You are still being considered." (Her emphasis.) I've decided to go Sunday evening, since it's probably always a good thing to go read again for someone when they invite you to do so. I e-mailed her back, and she replied saying Sunday would be auditions, callbacks, and hopefully final casting decisions.
So this afternoon, I pulled out my Accent Manual For Actors, and started practicing my German accent. This book is awesome in that it separates the German accents into two groups: North German/Prussian and South German/Austrian/Bavarian/Swiss. There are subtle pronunciation differences between the two. And the interesting thing is, as I read aloud the non-sensical phonetic versions of the sentences, I clearly recognize my grandparents patterns of pronunciation in them. (Well, duh.) The book also demonstrates briefly how to create very thick accents, a medium thick, lighter, and very light accents. If I am cast, I'll probably go with one of the lighter accents just so the audience can understand what I'm saying. I'm also thinking the South German accent, simply because it sounds more like English pronunciations most of the time. I was reading the practice sentences in the book slowly, concentrating on pronunciation and enunciation, and I sound like I just got off the boat and don't know a word of English, and am reading out of a tourist's guide.
I'm also thinking there's the possibility that I'll work on this, then go into the audition and have nearly exactly the same accent that I did at Tuesday night's audition, because I don't trust myself enough to be able to speak with an accent that I heard fairly often. But at least this way, I can feel more confident that I do know that I'm speaking with the correct accent, and it won't sound to me like I'm slipping into British or French or Southern. I've decided that I was too hard on myself for Tuesday's audition anyway, regarding the accent. I think I did pretty good considering that I had never tried speaking with a German accent before that night.
I hope I get cast. I think this would be a fun play, and the director seems really nice, she will be fun to work with. I'm also thinking if I get cast, that would be great for me to get more votes for Screen Test 2006. I would have that much more reason to contact local newspaper writers to see if they want to write a story, and I wouldn't just be Joe Blow from off the street, I'd have a project going that people could come see me in. Gives me more credibility.
BTW, I'm at 51 votes now. Thank you to fan #51! Please keep the votes coming! Go to the Voting Page, and enter my audition # 1218 to vote for me!

No comments: