I finally watched Jodi Foster on Inside The Actor's Studio, and I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions on the interview she gave.
One of the things she said that really hit home for me was that she never had any formal training, and she'd always felt insecure about it, felt there was something she didn't know, someplace she couldn't reach, a vocabulary that she didn't understand, things everyone else knew but her. But then when she started directing, she read all of the important books about acting, and discovered that she knew most of it already. What she didn't know was that each actor has their own method of getting to the place they need to be.
That really hit home for me, because I've been feeling the same way, that because I haven't had advanced acting training, there are emotional places other actors can reach that I can't, there are skills they have that I don't. And granted I don't have anywhere near as much acting experience as Jodi Foster, and probably not nearly as much talent, (although I like to imagine that I am that good, or at least could be with experience) but I feel better knowing that formal training isn't necessary to achieve excellent acting. That perhaps I don't have to feel so intimidated by not having a lot of upper level training, and just trust myself.
One of the things she said that really hit home for me was that she never had any formal training, and she'd always felt insecure about it, felt there was something she didn't know, someplace she couldn't reach, a vocabulary that she didn't understand, things everyone else knew but her. But then when she started directing, she read all of the important books about acting, and discovered that she knew most of it already. What she didn't know was that each actor has their own method of getting to the place they need to be.
That really hit home for me, because I've been feeling the same way, that because I haven't had advanced acting training, there are emotional places other actors can reach that I can't, there are skills they have that I don't. And granted I don't have anywhere near as much acting experience as Jodi Foster, and probably not nearly as much talent, (although I like to imagine that I am that good, or at least could be with experience) but I feel better knowing that formal training isn't necessary to achieve excellent acting. That perhaps I don't have to feel so intimidated by not having a lot of upper level training, and just trust myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment