Plans for taking action

This may end up being another psychotically long post, but I'll attempt to keep it reasonable.
Yesterday, I posted a link to this blog on the Yahoo! acting discussion group where I found the e-book "You Must Act!". And then today, I discover--OHMYGOD! (I have been using that phrase waaaay too much lately, lol! I'm starting to sound like a valley girl!) I discover that Mr. Bob Fraser, author of "You Must Act!", Hollywood actor, writer, director and producer ("The Love Boat", "Benson", "Full House"), Mr. Bob Fraser has left a comment for me on the entry I wrote yesterday!!! WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!! I just think that is one of the most awesome things EVER! First of all, I think it is wonderfully kind and generous of him to write the book that he did, sharing a wealth of knowledge about how the industry works and what it really takes to be able to make it in Hollywood. But then to take notice of those of us reading his book, WOW! Thank you so much, Mr. Fraser, for your kindess!!
I've been thinking a lot today about the amount of rejection one can expect in Hollywood. My Acting For the Camera class teacher Ron Michaelson, (who can be seen currently in commercials as the Ditech Guy: "Lost another loan to Ditech!") also impressed on us that rejection is part of the business, and that rejection is not personal. Sometimes it can come down to the color of your eyes, or being a half inch too short or tall. And between Ron's information and Mr. Fraser's info in his book, I've realized that knowing rejection is part of the business can set you free. Why get nervous and worked up over an audition when you know there's a 99% chance you won't get a call back? It's still worth it to go to the audition because there's always the chance that this will be the one you do get called back for, but knowing that most likely you won't takes a lot of pressure off, doesn't it? Go, play, have a good time, don't worry be happy!
And one of the things Mr. Fraser pushes early on in his book is that if you want to be successful, do what you can now, take action now, you must act. He suggests that if you're interested in acting for film and television, make your own movies if you can't get to Hollywood. So that's exactly what I'm going to do, since I cannot afford classes or headshots to get going in Hollywood just yet. I'm going to learn different monologues, and have someone film me performing them with a home video camera. At least that way I can see myself perform and see exactly what I need to improve upon, and get somewhat of a better feel for how to play with the camera, learn how to make the camera my best friend and show the camera stuff I wouldn't show anyone else. (Someone said that on "Inside The Actor's Studio", but I don't remember who, and can't find that quote in my notes). I didn't have any clue who I could ask to do this because most of my friends are super busy, so I was talking to my Mom about it yesterday, and she volunteered to help me, despite the fact that the last time she tried to video tape anything, she ended up turning the camera off during the event, and turning it on for the walk back to the car and the drive home. It was a lovely video of the ground, and then tree branches and clouds out the back seat window of the car, lol. Anyhow, she offered to help, and I'm sure I can teach her how to work the camera. And then, I was telling all of this to my cousin Christel (who is also my roommate) and she offered to help as well, in a few weeks when her college semester is over. I asked her if she would perform the "Final Placement" scene with me for the camera as well, I'm determined to work that scene again and do it better this time. And Christel is a much better actor than the girl I did the scene with for class, so I'm excited about that! I'm also excited that my Mom and Christel offered to help, it means they're taking me seriously, they can see that I'm determined and committed! Hooray for me!!
I started looking for monologues this afternoon, and I found myself picking them by entirely different criteria than I have in the past. This time I was looking for characters unlike myself, and for different "experiences" that are outside my comfort zone. But then I imagined watching myself perform any monologue on the video, and I got all bummed out because half of what makes watching film and TV so interesting & fun is watching the actor's reactions, and there is no one to react to in a monologue. I am so looking forward to being able to afford classes.
I also plan on and need to get my butt out the door and start auditioning for local plays, even if I'm not cast, I'm still learning and gaining experience and DOING by getting out there. And I plan to break down and analyze all of the play scripts I've got on my bookshelf (currently I've got maybe 8?) until I get cast in a play, because I've suddenly realized that breaking down a single scene is not even close to the same thing as breaking down an entire play. It will be good experience to do that, even without the performace side of it.
And I've also realized that I'm not really at square one in this whole acting career process as I had stated in my profile. Square one is no experience or classes what-so-ever. Saying I'm at square one is selling myself short. Because I've had several acting technique classes over the years, I've taken an Acting for the Camera class (twice), I did extra work for a year. So I'm not really a beginner. I think I'm at an early intermediate level. So that's square two? Lol! That's still better than square one.

No comments: