Audition for "Mr. 80%"

I did it! I went to the audition tonight! Hooray for me!!
I was surprised at how tiny the theater was, the entire building was maybe 1000 sq ft. And there were only 3 other girls at the audition besides myself. They were all dressed casual, jeans & T-shirts, I felt overdressed at first wearing slacks, heels and a nice blouse. The director was wearing a tie, so then I didn't feel so overdressed. I figure I was presenting a professional image, which is always good. And there was a young woman there who had been in my acting class last semester! We hadn't really talked in class, but we recognized each other and said "Hi."
Turns out "Mr. 80%" is a sitcom-type comdey about a couple of men who want share an apartment with a couple of women, but the women only want to share with other women or gay men, so the two men pretend to be gay, one of the guys falls in love with one of the girls...sounds like a lot of fun!
The director gave us a monologue and scene for the character he thought we'd be most appropriate for, he had me read for Sharon, which is one of the two main female roles, I think. We started out by improving scenes based on our body positions, he rotated us in one by one. I generally don't consider myself very good at improv, because I don't always think quickly enough on my feet, but I remained relaxed throughout and just went with the flow, even when I couldn't think of anything. (One of the improved scenes, I was a nurse at a hospital, and the girl was looking frantically for her boyfriend, and she asked me what the name of the hospital was, and I couldn't think of anything, so I just said, "I don't know, actually," and laughed. But then she said, "Bermuda", so I said, "Oh that explains it, we're in the Bermuda triangle!" The director laughed at that, so hopefully I redeemed myself.)
Then the director had us read scenes together, then he had each of us perform a monologue. He had me go first on both the scene read and the monologue, which surprised me. Hopefully that means he liked me? I was shaking a little bit while reading the monologue, but I think that was the only thing that gave my nervousness away. The whole thing took maybe 20 minutes. He said he'd call us Wednesday to offer roles, and he was hoping that some of us could come back at that time to read with the guys, because the story is driven by the guys.
I feel strangely calm right now. I feel confident about my audition, but I told myself before I went that it was okay if I didn't get cast. But considering there were so few of us tonight, maybe...however there are still auditions tomorrow night as well. So now we'll see. It would be really cool if I got cast, but it'll totally be okay if I don't.

No comments: