Self-Discipline

I hope all you had a wonderful Christmas! Mine was very nice, wonderful time spent with my family, lots of fun little gifts. My only disappointment was that due to my financial circumstances, I wasn't able to buy gifts for anyone this year. I felt sad that I wasn't able to participate in the giving.


As 2007 approaches, I find myself gathering together my resolutions and goals for the New Year. And as my posts from the last couple of weeks have made absolutely clear to me, my biggest and most urgent resolution needs to be learning and developing self-discipline. And my first act of self-discipline was to clean my bathroom, which had gotten nastier than you can possibly imagine. And make that a weekly chore for myself. (I spent an hour just cleaning the sink, counter, and toilet. Eww!)


Ironically, my second act of NON-self-discipline was to stay up until one in the morning knitting a square for the Warm Up America foundation. My mom got a book for Christmas called Knitting For Peace, that details several charity foundations built on knitted donations. And since I've become addicted to knitting, and the squares for the Warm Up America blankets are quick and easy, I went for it. My mom can't knit anymore because of arthritis, so she's very happy that I am more than willing. I stayed up way too late, finishing my first square, getting started on my second, and creatively designing the next four squares.


My third act of NON-self-discipline is lack of action on getting my monologues for the LiveMansion contest recorded. What I should do is just get Mee-gan's monologue recorded and uploaded to the site, so I can start collecting votes for that role, because as I wrote before she's the character I feel I could do much better with, and take my time with Sabrina, post her video as a contrast to Mee-gan, for the director's benefit.


Other acts on NON-self discipline include still not ordering my headshot prints, (DOH!) and not getting my Mary Kay restaurant basket together. (The basket is displayed in a restaurant, and people can enter their names to win the basket, and everybody who enters wins a free facial, plus $10 in product. It's a great way to get leads, and at least I can feel confident that the people will be interested and therefore not as likely to cancel or blow it off.)


So, there it is. My major New Years resolution is to learn self-discipline. I give myself permission to be self-disciplined.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!

Danne Len Cole said...

Good luck with that resolution! I know I could definitely use more self-discipline in my life! Don't feel alone...my bathroom can get kinda neglected too! lol!

LoveRundle said...

Wow, you are really busy. I use to be really big into acting, but living in California and the few calls I got, I just didn't like all the running around. I do like writing though. Emory and I are hoping to write a script that can go into production with him as the lead character.

As far as living arrangements go, I understand how that is. We've had our moments too. Things are just starting to make sense and move in the right direction.

Good luck with the resolutions. I gave up on cleaning a few months ago. I have no idea how things find the places they do to just hang out in my apartment, but I'd rather write. lol.