I also spoke to Christel, told her my concerns about the lingerie, and she said, "Aw common, you can wear something sexy. It's just like wearing a bathing suit. You've worn a bathing suit in public, right?" And she's right. It really wouldn't be any different than wearing a bathing suit, regarding showing skin. So basically, it would come down to what the director is physically looking for in his leading lady, because I have a larger hour-glass figure (aka Rubenesque).
I also recieved an e-mail comment to yesterday's post with useful info:
Isabelle,
I just read your latest blog post, and I thought I'd drop you a line. Here are my unsolicted thoughts about your upcoming audition opportunity (Please forgive me if I'm being rude): I think you can decide what to do by way of a simple cost-benefit analysis. Any project can compensate you in any of three ways (in no particular order of importance):
1) money
2) artistic experience/growth (e.g., it means working with someone great, it stretches you in a good way, etc.)
3) career building (e.g., it is better than everything already on your resume, impresses the public, etc.)
If it does two of those three (well enough to make up for the inconveniences, opportunity costs and hardships of the audition and playing the role), audition. If not, don't. If in doubt, I sometimes opt to be flattered by the invite, and spend a quite night at home (instead of auditioning).
I hope this helps, and break a leg (on this or another project).
David Lawrence
Headshot and resume at:http://www.davidlawrence.biz/
LA acting blog at:http://laacting.blogspot.com/
At this point in my career, any non-paid community theater meets 2 & 3, since I've only been in one play so far. But it's good to be reminded that there is more to the business than just money, more to strive for.And I also Mapquested directions from my new location to the Playhouse, and it turns out it's only 2 additional miles to drive from here than from where I lived before.
So after considering all that, I called the director (as requested in his e-mail) this morning to see about auditioning. He asked if I could play the age range required for the role, I said yes, and then he asked me to e-mail my contact info, and he'd be in touch to set up a reading either on Monday or on Tuesday at the first rehearsal.
1 comment:
Just realized that you posted my email, and figured I'd blog it too:
http://laacting.blogspot.com/2008/05/to-audition-or-not.html
Post a Comment