Finished Blocking Act 1

Today at rehearsal we finished blocking the second half of Act I. Nothing too exciting for me to do, my character only comes in very briefly a few times through out the act. But it's still fun to watch everyone else play, watch how Stan thinks and creates the movement for us and the motivation behind the movement, watch the other actors play with their characters and create line readings even this early on. I'm a little surprised that they are doing that actually, because I thought you learn your lines without inflection otherwise you get locked into saying your lines in a specific way and loose the sponteneity of reaction to the other actors. I'll just keep my eyes open, see how this plays out through the rehearsal process. But it's still cool to see the choices the other actors make, see them adjusting immediately to Stan's directions, and totally getting into character even while still on script.

Again, only half the cast was here tonight, and the two actors playing my cohorts were still not there.

I'm also having a small issue with the role Stan has me reading. The character I play is one of two teenage girls (and a teenage guy) sneaking into the house. One of the girls is the brains and the other is the sidekick. I was under the impression last night that Stan wanted me to play the brains character, because I look a little older than the other actor playing the other role. But Stan couldn't remember which character was the brains character, so he told me to read Suzanne. Well, now that we're at the end of Act I it's apparent, to me at any rate, that the other character, Judy, is the brains and that Suzanne is following her around. So I found the Character Notes at the end of the script and sure enough, Judy is in charge, and Suzanne is the gofer. So I'm not sure if I misunderstood what Stan said last night, or what. So I just sent him a brief e-mail to double check with him, and apologized if I misunderstood what he said.

This is such a fun show, it's a farce with almost a cartoon-quality humor to it. But it's funny, even the cast is laughing at each other already!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does it really matter which charachter you play as long as you're in the show? Any way you do it, acting is about learning new charachters. If it's not comfortable for you, that's a good thing because it's a challenge, right?