Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile

I had written an e-mail a couple of weeks ago to the theatre that is having auditions for their production of The Laramie Project in July. (The audition for Laramie that I did earlier this month were for a different theater.) I asked what the audition requirements were since there weren't any requirements listed on the website. I also asked if it was an Equity theater since they were offering a stipend. The reply I got said the theater is non-union, and that the auditions usually consist of two contrasting 1 minute monologues.
So, I just found a one minute comedic monologue for myself at Horton's Stage Page. It's from a play called Ruling Passion by G. L. Horton: "The Duxbury Ladies' Club's Outstanding Woman of History Costume Contest is a comic mix of beauty and brains." I'll be playing "Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile".
I think it's a really hilarious monologue, although I need to stop after "...and I was stuck with this gold plated shimmy suit" to keep it one minute long. It's actually a few seconds over 1 min, but that's okay, because my dramatic monologue (Prelude To A Kiss) is just under one minute. This monologue is the woman describing how she wound up with her Cleopatra costume, which is really a belly dancing costume that she bought because her dancing teacher told her she was really good, and then hooked her up with a job as a dancer at a men's club. So, I get to do a lot of shimmying and belly dancing and such, how fun! And I think the fact that I am heavier, and not the best belly dancer will add to the comedy of the piece.

No comments: