Slightest breeze in my sail...

My sister wrote me a wonderful comment in an e-mail: "I added your blog to my favorites so hopefully I will get over there more often. I think it's really terrific, what you're doing with it, and I hope it helps you stay motivated!" Which is part of the reason I started this blog in the first place, to help myself stay focused and motivated by writing about my goals and what I'm doing to acheive them on a regular basis.
Haven't written much lately, because as I said in my previous post, I'm pretty much stuck at this point. BUT I've been working on my Blue Window monologue, started rehearsing it, working on connecting to it. I feel like I'm doing well with it. I had set a goal for myself to video tape myself performing it by next weekend, but it turns out I may not have access to a camera. I had thought I'd borrow my aunt & uncle's, only turns out its broken. My cousin's digital camera can do video as well, but she likes to keep it with her (meaning I cannot borrow it) and she's psychotically busy preparing for her college finals. So unless I can find another friend who has a camera I can borrow, I'm stuck yet again.
I have continued reading as well, I've learned an important point about headshots. In one of the back issues of Bob Fraser's newsletter Hollywood How-To, he talks about how we are responsible for the quality of our headshots, not the photographer. We the actor need to create the look we want, have the energy in our eyes that makes a headshot so dynamic. He used the example of celebrity photos on the cover of magazines, and at special events. They always know they're having their picture taken, they know how to pose to create dynamic pictures. And that's when I realized: Our headshots need to have the same dynamic charisma as celebrity photos. Mr. Fraser says in his book that agents are looking for gold, a headshot that stands out, someone they can sell. A headshot with celebrity charisma would definitely be gold.
And a friend of mine pointed out that I could look for a headshot photographer willing to barter with me. Lately, I've been forgetting that I can barter my massage skills. So that goal isn't as far away as I thought. But I'm hesitating to begin seeking out a photographer to barter with because I really need a haircut. (Which I can't afford at this time.) I'm still debating. Because if I get my headshots now, I'll need to keep this hairstyle for a while. And I don't really want to. So it's better to wait until I can get my hair cut nicely to put the time and barter effort into getting headshots.
I've also discovered another role model for myself in addition to Alfred Molina. I realized (remembered) last night that I also greatly admire Tony Shalhoub. And he actually fits into the same category as Molina: A character actor who disappears into his roles. But where Molina's career has been mostly in film, Shalhoub's career has been equally in both film and television.
And once again, it's worrying me a little bit that I don't have any female role models. I'm sure that must have some psychological significance. (I have a few ideas of what those are, but I'm not going to discuss them here.) The only woman who has caught my attention so far is Anne Heche, I love watching her. But I haven't seen enough of her work yet, I've only seen her on Everwood and Ally McBeal.
Anyhow, I'm starting to babble again, so that's it for today!

No comments: