And I've started noticing how Molina uses his facial expressions to accent whatever he's doing in a scene, the way he moves his eyes, or eyebrow(s) or the way he smiles. He doesn't do that for every movie, but since this was a fun comedy, his expressions were appropriate. Man, can he move that eyebrow of his!
I was also reading through some of the archive entries on Whil Wheaton Dot Net, and I came across this entry:
"I have an audition for a play this morning. I'm excited, because this is something that I can totally do, but I'm slightly nervous, too . . . in situations like this (where I feel pretty confident), it's easy to grip the bat too hard. So here's how I'll have a successful audition:
1. keep it simple
2. respect the material
3. make it my own
4. don't over-think or over-complicate it (see number one)
5. have fun
6. when I'm done, let it go
. . . don't forget that "successful" doesn't necessarily mean that I get the job . . ."
--Whil Wheaton, April 13, 2005, "in a bowl behind the bank"
http://www.wilwheaton.net/mt/archives/2005_04.php
What I like about that entry is that he took the time to plan out what he needed to do and keep in mind to have a succesful audition, and he defined what a successful audition meant to him. And I like the specific things he listed, I think it's good stuff for me to keep in mind as well as I audition. I'm learning good stuff here!
And it seems that the Universe has provided for me again. After I went on that frustrated rant a couple of days ago about my monologue, I started thinking about how what I'm learning about different acting techniques seem to conflict with each other or with my own insticts. So last night I found a link to a site about a new acting technique called Mosiac Acting, which seems to help the actor build a character and their action/objectives organically, in a way based on instinct instead of breaking the scene down into tiny bits and putting it back together again. On the Endorsements page, Kelsey Grammer is quoted as saying: "The WHELAN RECORDING TECHNIQUE [a tool used in Mosiac Acting] is helpful in bringing the necessary battle between instinct and technique to a peaceful accord." Kelsey Grammer, Star of Frasier
So, it sounds really interesting and helpful. There is also a page with a summary of how the Whelan Recording Technique works. Basically as I understand it so far, you & your scene partner(s) record the lines without looking away from your script. Then you play the recording back, and act out the scene to the recording but without speaking or even moving your lips. The goal is to follow your insticts during this process, even if they seem illogical (such as your character drinking a glass of whiskey while he's got speaking lines on the audio recording--the summary tells more about that, it's very interesting.)
And the really weird thing is, while I was reading about this technique, I was reminded of a dream I had several months ago, Dec 19th, 2004 (according to my personal journal): "I dreamt I was in a play directed by Paul Newman, and we were running rehearsals. I started thinking about an acting partner from school I'd had who wasn't very good, she had said her lines pretty much monotone, and expressed very little emotion. So at this rehearsal, I just blurted out: "Run the scene without any lines, without speaking." And they did! Paul Newman took my suggestion. And I thought it was a really interesting way to connect with the other actors on stage, really be in the moment with them, and more fully express the subtext. It was very dynamic to watch." Talk about serendipity!
So I'm really excited to learn more about this technique. I want to try it out as soon as I can get an audio recorder of some sort. I'm also interested in Jeremy Whelan's book as well, but for now it's out of my budget. (Which sucks, everything is out of my budget right now, except bills and groceries. But I've finally gotten the application process for my Massage Therapy permit and business liscence started, and I've gotten my DBA (Living Bodycare), so I'm anticipating an increase in my income within the next month & a half, once all of that is approved and I'm working in the nutritionist's office. I refuse to let it go on any longer than that. I've been anticipating getting this thing rolling since last summer for my internship while I was still in school, and even more so since I graduated in Dec. It's time to stop anticipating and actually get my massage business started ASAP.)
Anyhow, discovering that technique right after expressing frustration about techinique vs instinct, between the quote about bringing instinct and technique into peaceful accord, and my dream being so similar to the described technique, it feels like the Universe once again has pointed me in the right direction and given me a big thumbs up. :))
No comments:
Post a Comment