So I went to eBay this evening to check out camcorders... Oh. My. God. There are thousands listed. All with names such as Sony DV z620. (Just for example, I made up the name.) What the hell does that mean?? Is that a new model or an older model? What does that model cost in stores? If it's an older model no longer being sold in stores, how do I know what a good price for it is, where do I find that information? Where do I find if it's a good quality purchase and not just a crappy camcorder that every consumer who bought it in the stores regret spending their money on? Apparently, I have much more research to do before I can attempt to bid on anything listed at eBay.
I also checked out editing software at Amazon.com. Pinnacle was recommended to me at Circuit City, but according to customer reviews at Amazon.com, most people are not happy with Pinnacle, it seems most people have a hell of a time trying to use it, any version, newer or older. And the editing software that were getting the highest ratings were over $100. AND most of the software is made for use with Windows XP, of course, but remember when my computer crashed last November, and I had to restore to Windows Me with no way to get back to XP until I can afford to buy XP, but with Windows Vista coming out, where am I going to get XP? And then there are compatibility issues from the whole XP/Vista thing...Yeesh! Anyhow, any or all of that could present a problem, too.
However, it occured to me that perhaps I don't need the editing software right away. I'm not planning on keeping most of what I record, at least not at first. So perhaps the Incredible Deal I'm hoping to find on eBay should be camcorder and tripod. Or perhaps just a more expensive, fancy camcorder for the price of a less expensive one. Who the hell knows anymore?!? Not me... I'm too tired, I'll figure it out tomorrow.
I also checked out editing software at Amazon.com. Pinnacle was recommended to me at Circuit City, but according to customer reviews at Amazon.com, most people are not happy with Pinnacle, it seems most people have a hell of a time trying to use it, any version, newer or older. And the editing software that were getting the highest ratings were over $100. AND most of the software is made for use with Windows XP, of course, but remember when my computer crashed last November, and I had to restore to Windows Me with no way to get back to XP until I can afford to buy XP, but with Windows Vista coming out, where am I going to get XP? And then there are compatibility issues from the whole XP/Vista thing...Yeesh! Anyhow, any or all of that could present a problem, too.
However, it occured to me that perhaps I don't need the editing software right away. I'm not planning on keeping most of what I record, at least not at first. So perhaps the Incredible Deal I'm hoping to find on eBay should be camcorder and tripod. Or perhaps just a more expensive, fancy camcorder for the price of a less expensive one. Who the hell knows anymore?!? Not me... I'm too tired, I'll figure it out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment