I was browsing Snopes.com and came across a very interesting article about Steven Spielberg. Ever hear a story that he got his start in show business by sneaking on to the Universal Studios lot every day one summer?
Here's the Snopes.com article about that.
I love the quote at the end of the article:
"Most of what I say is true. The rest is show business." --George Burns
It reminds me that maybe I don't need to be so fricking honest all the time, especially in this business. Most people would consider me "too honest." (Another HSP trait.) In fact, I suspect that since I tend to be more honest and earnest than most people, to the point of making myself look bad sometimes -- honesty trumps ego -- a lot of people assume I'm lying. These people know that most people aren't that honest, at least not with someone who isn't a very good friend, and they assume that I'm just like everyone else, so whatever I'm saying must be a lie to make myself look honest but actually covers the real truth. (Twisted, isn't it?) It happened to me a lot as a kid, I was always accused of lying, and the more I tried to prove myself honest, the worse it got.
I think most adults wouldn't accuse someone directly of lying in the way that children do to each other, but that doesn't mean the adults aren't thinking it and keeping that opinion to themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment