Incomplete Project

Okay, I did find the rough, incomplete edit for one of the projects I directed and produced with a couple of my friends back in 2007. Before you watch, please be aware this is an amateur production, and it is incomplete, especially in the second half it's missing footage and sound effects. 

I just looked back over my blog posts, and turns out I never wrote much about this project, I didn't want to spoil it. So it was a supernatural thriller short (5 - 10 min long). My friends Kim and Emory put so much time into that, we shot two nights from midnight (I think?) until the sun came up. The majority of the story took place driving a car at night, so we needed to film that late/early when the streets were quiet. Even that early in the morning, cars went by every few minutes, which really slowed us down, filming took a lot longer than I had anticipated. We still had managed to shoot everything we needed that first night, but when I got the footage into the computer it was too dark, you could hardly see Kim. So we went back and reshot a bunch of footage on the second night, after I had run some lighting tests and made sure the lighting would be adequate this time. But after I got the footage on the computer, it was too dark again. At that point, asking to reshoot again was creating a huge conflict with one of my actors, so I decided to just shelve it. Plus we kept inexplicably loosing footage. We'd film a part, rewind and watch it to make sure it was good to go, and then by the time I imported the footage onto my computer, parts were missing. I don't know if it's because I was so tired at 3 am that I was pushing the wrong button, or what happened, but I lost three or four necessary pieces of footage that way. There was one specific piece that I lost twice. Got lost after the first night, filmed it again the second night, and it went missing again!

Anyhow, even though it was incomplete, I have been planning to put up what we did have finished, just so that Kim and Emory's work and time put in on the project wouldn't be wasted. I should have done it a long time ago, but kept procrastinating and putting it off. Finally, I was going to do that today, because I have a new project I want to start working on, and I wanted to follow through on finishing the other two before I got started on the new one.

No comments: