So yesterday evening's shoot for the student short, An Unlikely Love, was okay. This is the project I auditioned for on Thursday afternoon. We got started a little late due to this and that, which is not unusual on any set. I did not recieve any direction, so I'm assuming that means the director liked what I gave for my scene. The camera operator complimented both of us (the lead actor and I) a couple of times, however. So I'm eager to see how the completed project will turn out. I fear that my performance wasn't as good as it could have been, based on how it felt on the inside, but how it feels on the inside isn't always accurate to how it reads on camera.
I also have to remind myself I had such a small part, a page and a third out of a 10-15 page script. (I never got to see the whole script, but the lead actor seemed to have 10-15 pages.) Just a small part of what the completed project will be. And to be completely honest, my Ego-Monster was not happy about that at all at first. But then I reminded myself, that it could (and will be) the same thing in bigger TV shows and films. One line in this TV show, two lines in that movie. That's just the business.
The interesting thing I discovered from this shoot, is that the way we've been working on my amature YouTube videos isn't that different from what I experienced yesterday. The biggest difference between the two being the student director had professional lighting, and a good eye for lighting and the technicalities of making the scene look good on film. That's where I'm struggling as director of my projects, because I don't have the training or the education.
But last year I bought several books to read, a basic book on setting up shots, a textbook type about creating the visual artistry of film, I also found several useful YouTube videos about basic shots, the 180 degree rule, etc.
The ironic thing about all of this is, I don't want to be a director. I am simply an actor who wants to act, and so I am self-teaching the directing part to create my own opportunities to be an actor and increase my experience and skill in front of a camera.
2 comments:
I haven't seen any of your youtube vids, please link away! I was doing indie film projects years ago and even shot a feature with two great friends of mine that was a great accomplishment for us all.
But I'll be using what I learned during those years to focus on my own projects as well. Maybe we can virtually collab in the near future!
I have to say it is so nice to have you back in the blogosphere. I love reading what is going on with you on your journey. As an actress, myself, reading what you write is inspiring and motivating. Welcome back, again. :)
Post a Comment