Today was a wonderfully productive, creative day!
I started out the day auditing an on-camera cold-reading class taught by one of the best instructors from my acting classes that I took summer 2006. Not at the same school, though. As much as I loved my classes from that summer, I can’t afford to take more there. I’m still paying off my credit card balance for those classes. This instructor has started his own classes, and they are much more affordable.
Two of my actor friends went with me, and we all really liked the class. Basically we get a script at the beginning of class, we look it over a few minutes, then sit down and cold read it. The reading is filmed close up, sometimes extremely close up, just the face, so that we can see if we’re listening and reacting to our partners, see if we’re being honest. The rest of the class gets to see our close-ups on a split screen above us, and the split screen footage is recorded to a video tape for us to take home. It’s a pretty cool set up.
So after class, my two friends and I went back to my house, because we’re also finally working on another scene for our YouTube channel! I really fell in love with that scene from Good Will Hunting that I auditioned for last month (for a student project), so I re-wrote the scene in my own words, and we’re gonna film it and put up. According the the copyright laws, the specific way an idea is expressed can be copyrighted, but not the idea itself. So as long as we’re doing the scene with our own words and not the original writer’s, we’re not breaking any copyright laws. And sooner or later, the law will come down on all the video copyright violations on YouTube and other video sites, in the same way they’ve come down on music download copyright violations. Especially since the Writer’s Guild and SAG are striking over residuals for TV shows/movies that are also airing on the internet.
Yes, so, I’ve re-written the scene, and this afternoon we rehearsed it. It’s coming out really well overall, I’m excited to shoot it on Tuesday evening.
And then next Saturday, I’ll be shooting the student film...
As one of my blog buddies likes to say, “Today I feel like an actor“ and it’s a wonderful, wonderful feeling! =) And so in honor of this, I would like to offer this video on YouTube to you as a celebration. Fast forward to 1:05, that's the perfect place to start watching the video. It always makes me laugh and smile, I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do! =)
4 comments:
I love reading post that are upbeat. I am glad things are going well. I try to stop by often, sorry I don't always leave a message.
Hi Isabelle,
I enjoyed checking out your blog. I'm a recent grad in Silicon Valley, and I've just started a company that is mapping the blogosphere to our world. Here is an example of a blogger in Georgia who's plugged in: http://www.verveearth.com/landing/#type=user&id=772. It can be fun to explore different localities.
It's an easy process to get on board, and I can be reached at clayton@verveearth.com for questions or feedback. If you resonate with the vision of painting a global canvas of voices, please give VerveEarth a mention.
Cheers! -Clayton
Awesome! I'm so glad you had a feel like an actor day! Those really are the best, aren't they? They just fill you with hope and worth and all that good stuff.
FYI: The WGA is on strike (yikes!) but SAG is not. SAG HQ is asking us to consider walking picket lines in a show of solidarity but we are not on strike. We will run out of work if the strike continues, though, and it is possible SAG will go on strike next year when our contracts expire but so far, no official strike for us, thankfully.
Wow, Emory said he really liked the class. I'm glad you all had fun. It's always good when you feel like you are making the progress you need to be making.
Post a Comment