Clarification

Just a note to start with: We didn't get to film the adapted scene on Tuesday night after all, due to circumstances beyond our control. Hopefully we will get to film it in a couple of weeks.

Now on to the Main Event. I recieved an anonymous comment earlier today on a post I wrote Tuesday, May 15th, 2006, my second day of classes at the Acting Corps. The Anonymous Commenter wrote: "You are an ego-maniac. I'm glad I don't have to work with you."

This bothers me, if I am being completely honest. My first reaction was just to let it roll off my back, but it does bother me. This person seems to be judging me as an actor and a person based on only one post I wrote. I realize that speaks more about who that person is than it does me.
But what worries me is, especially since my blog is getting greater exposure now, how many other people are getting similar impressions from what I write, how I write?
Yes, I have an ego that would go raging out of control if I let it. I'm not denying that. But it is important to me to let all of you potential actors, directors, producers, etc know that I do not let my ego go raging out of control, especially when I am working. I am always vigilant about not letting my ego get the best of me.
What I chose and choose to write about here in my journal, especially when I'm taking classes, is what I'm learning about myself. In regard to my ego, the more I acknowledge where my ego pops up, the better I get to know myself (which is what an actor is supposed to do, btw), and the better I can keep my ego under control.
If the Anonymous Commentor did actually work with me, or get to know me better than only reading one post, I think s/he would find that I am very easy to work with, I am flexible, open to suggestions and trying new things within a scene, exploring different ideas. I love collaborating to make scenes better. I don't complain or play prima donna.
With that said, I now have to wonder, does it hurt my professional reputation to write about that deeply personal learning and growth in such a public forum as this blog? I'm seriously considering, have been for several weeks now, closing down this blog and starting a new anonymous one in which I can write freely about my learning experiences. Or keeping this blog strictly professional, at any rate. Not quite sure how that would work, how interesting it would be to read. =/



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I received a similar comment recently. I think sometimes people write hateful things for the fun of it. Delete the comment and continue on. A hateful comment written anonymously should not be considered relevant or worthy of a reply.
I have been reading your blog for a long time. Sincerity and a woman who is serious about her craft is what I have found to be here. :)

krt said...

I completely agree with Marsha. If someone doesn't have the stones to put their name to the comment, they aren't worth listening to.

Everyone who decides to blog openly about their experiences is in danger of being misunderstood or taken out of context. What's important to note is the many other readers who have supported you since you started writing.

So, Anonymous Reader, walk the walk or get out of the way.

magickat said...

I second the comments left by Marsha and KRT. Word for word.

Keep on with your keep on Miss Bizzle. You rule. You are an actress finding your way. There is much to be gained by others from reading your perspective on things.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it I say! It means that you are becoming more and more visible to the world at large. That is what an actor needs! The only down side is that the world at large is full of idiots who make mean comments from the safety of anonymity. If you was a nobody, they would not bother! Love it, enjoy it, you have arrived!

Iziezi said...

Thank you, thank you, everyone for your wonderful, supportive comments! =)