With all of the focus and energy I've been putting into this new web series, I haven't had any time to look at improving my professional actor web site. But it desperately needed to be done, especially considering all the traffic I'm expecting to get once I start taking action on looking for financing, and publicizing etc.
I realized, I simply don't have time to learn how to design CSS (cascading style sheets), as much as it would be a blast to be able to do that. (And CSS is the hard part, not HTML.) So a couple of nights ago, out of sheer desperation, I googled "free website design templates" -- And I found this awesome site! All the templates are open source, meaning they are free to download, there are no copyright infringements, and you can customize as much as you want.
I'm very glad I've read as much as I have into my Creating A Web Site book, it really helped me understand how to customize the templates I found.
I spent hours browsing and downloading, and then started trying a few. A lot of them wouldn't work for some reason once I had copied & pasted all the code into HTML Kit, somehow the pictures wouldn't link up with the index page or the CSS pages, or even though the designer claimed to have tested them, the design didn't open right in Internet Explorer (IE), or in Firefox, or in Windows For Safari. (Or in all of them!) Or I simply couldn't figure out how to customize it for myself.
But finally I found one template, easy to customize, all the images linked up, and it looks great in all the browsers. Well, not as great in Firefox as the other two, but at least all the text and pictures and colors stay where they belong in the overall design, even if it's not as polished looking as in the other two browsers.
So. Check out the new look for my website design! -- www.IsabelleRobertson.com -- I'm really excited about it. It's not what you'd traditionally expect from a professional actor's website, but I think it works. Clean, professional, cheerful, warm... IMHO.
Would love to hear your opinions! Write comments, please! =)
Post Script: It took a lot of doing, but I finally got my blog to match my website! And now everything is linked together, so it's all one cohesive whole, YEE-haw! Well, except for my resume, that's still at NowCasting, but gonna work on that next...
No comments:
Post a Comment