I went to the callback today for the student project On The Wire that I had auditioned for a week ago Saturday. It went really well. I got the part!! YAAAY!!
So the director asked if I had time to stay after my callback audition to meet the other two actors, and I said yes, and we had an impromtu read-through/rehearsal.
The other two actors are perfect for their roles. But I have a challenge now.
The main part of the story is my character, Cathy, interacting with a guy, Heath, over the phone. Many of the choices I made in preparing for the audition were based on my own imagining of how Heath would say his lines, how he would sound. And the real actor that was cast in the role of Heath sounds nothing like I imagined, and isn't saying the lines the way I imagined them being said. So now many of my choices don't feel like they fit very well, they don't feel honest any more. Obviously I need to make adjustments in my choices. But, one of the reasons I got cast is because the director really loved the choices I made for my audition performance.
So my challenge is to deal honestly with the real actor and what he's giving me, but still preserve as much of my audition performance and those original choices as I can.
Part of me is wondering if this is my Ego-Monster again. How important is it that I feel the honesty in my choices? If I could make my performance honest in the audition when I was reading against someone that wasn't reading the lines the way I had imagined them, then I should be able to keep doing that with the actor I'll be working with right? If the director really loved those choices I made, and he feels they work well with what the other actor is giving, then should I overlook the fact that it doesn't feel honest to me anymore? And how much of this is me thinking to myself, "Well, since Heath is that way, and not the way I imagined him, I wouldn't react like that after all..."
Yeesh. I think that's the key. I'm letting too much of my own personal tastes get in the way of the choices I made for my character.
Ego-Monster, be gone! I banish thee from interfering with me any more!
4 comments:
Awesome! Congrats!!!
Congratulations
Three thoughts:
1. The choices you prepared don't have to be carved in stone. The director cast you, he will direct you if necessary. So the first thought is: be malleable in your performance.
2. You are an actor with an imagination. If you like the choices you've made, stick with them. Find the reason why they work as choices. So the second thought is: be interanlly malleable.
3. Don't think so much. Do what feels right. :)
"one of the reasons I got cast is because the director really loved the choices I made for my audition performance"
Remember - he cast you BOTH. He loved the choices that you each made. Now as actors you have to find the connection to each other with your singular interpretations and find your collective voice.
And there is always room to play and grow. You may find something new in your character that you never thought of before while playing against his interepretation. And the same goes for him.
Congrats on another booking. This is The Year Of The Bizzle!
See, Kat?
You just pointed out another facet of my Ego Monster that I neglected to see. Thank you, honestly! =)
PS, KRT, thanks for your thoughts as well, and you're right, I do need to stop thinking so much.
Post a Comment