Yup!


Tonight, I finally finished creating my LA Casting resume/profile with my new headshots for my commercial agent, and so I went ahead and submitted myself to some projects. And I've already been contacted for an audition! WOO-HOO! So, this Wednesday, I'll be auditioning for a student project, a scene from "Good Will Hunting".




I also made a realization about how to get great scenes to work with for The Random Acts, without having to worry about copyright laws. We'll just take the scenes we want to do from plays and movies, and re-write the script in our own words. Because the point of The Random Acts is not to show what brilliant writers we are (which we're not), but to give ourself experience as actors by working with challenging material in front of the camera. So from that point of view, it doesn't matter if the ideas are original or borrowed.




And lastly, I've been watching a TV show called What It Takes on the Reelz Channel (exclusive to Direct TV, I think.) It's a really great show that outlines a big name actor's career from start to stardom. It talks about the choices they made, how they overcame flops, how personal relationships affected their careers. I'm really learning a lot about the choices an actor needs to make. I've always thought that getting discovered is being in the right place at the right time, and after that you need to have the talent to become a star, but after watching this show, it's so much more than that. Most of the actors who have made it big have been very picky about the movies they'll work on, sticking with the scripts that speak to them, and choosing based on the character they'll play as well as the over all script. They balance big budget hits that appeal to a wide audience, and thus give them the power of being a well-known name that draw viewers, with the smaller, independent films that often offer better writing, better characters, better story, the types of roles every serious actor prefers to play. Many times, risk is involved in the choice of movies they make, playing against type. (I haven't quite learned what makes a movie risky for an actor.) And most of these big name actors have overcome some serious mis-steps in their careers, but these can be overcome with perserverance and smart choices. Most of their careers are not one big hit after another. The show is very eye-opening.




And on a random tangent, because it's been in my thoughts so much lately, my current celebrity crush is David Tennant. (Still? I don't remember if I listed him as my crush before, it's very possible.) Anyhow, I found this great short film he was in on YouTube: Sweet Night Good Heart. OMG, he is such a good actor, I definitely want to work with him at least once in my career. Send that out into the Universe right now.

3 comments:

magickat said...

I am so happy to read that you booked an audition so quickly. The time is ripe for you right now! I can feel it!!! Stay inspired, friend!!!

Hugs!

krt said...

I believe as long as you aren't getting any financial remuneration for it you can do any scene you want from anywhere. That's how people get away with recutting movie trailers. If it's out there for free, there's nothing to sue for.

But that's no excuse not to write your own scripts. You'll learn a lot more as both an actor and a writer from your own material.

My two cents, anyway. Cheers.

Iziezi said...

Hi KRT,

That's what I thought too when we first started making videos, but on the YouTube upload page, it states very clearly not to upload any material that you don't own the copyright to or don't have permission from the copyright owner to use. Apparently we can be sued if the copyright owner decides his/her rights are infringed. There is a "Fair Use" clause in the copyright laws that state a small portion of other people's copyrighted material may be used as support material for your own work (such as a research paper), or in a parody. So, I guess Kim and I have decided not to chance it, and it would really suck to have to take all of our videos down if YouTube decides to crack down on enforcing the copyright laws in the same way the powers that be cracked down on MP3 downloads.