The Yin And The Yang Of It All

So, I'm home from my audition for the filmed student scene from "Good Will Hunting".

"How did it go, Izzie?" you may ask.

Well, first of all, I really like the scene I was reading for, it's absolutely awesome. I can see why Matt Damon and Ben Affleck got Oscars for it. The character of Skyla is intelligent, loving, she really listens to Will and does her best to understand what he's saying to her, but she doesn't put up with any crap either. She's strong and unabashedly honest.

I did all my homework, and the director had the actors read together in pairs. The actor I read with really gave his all in the scene, he was very connected with his character. And I was very connected to his character in the scene, I think our reading was really good, and it seemed that the student director and producer both were impressed with it as well.

But. And this is where I would love to speculate about a number of things, but speculation is never good, so I'll stick to the facts. The facts are that the director gave the other actor permission to move where-ever he wanted during the scene and he'd follow him with the camera. So during the scene, the actor moved to the other side of the room, and I had no choice but to follow him, because the camera was following him. Which put my back to the camera for the entire scene.

Looking back, if I'd taken the time to think outside the box (instead of assuming I had to keep my line of sight with my partner parallel to the front of the room like on a stage) I could have moved to a place where I was at least in profile with the camera, there was space for me to do so, without upstaging my partner.
So that's how the audition went.
And now I get to focus on preparing for my other audition on Saturday. My character for that scene is the exact opposite of how I visualized Skyla. This new character has low self-esteem, she's lonely, she's unattractive. And I get to figure out how to make her interesting to watch, wee! =)

No comments: