GAAAHHH!

You know that I've been hoping to start working background again, except I haven't been able to get myself booked on anything. So, in my e-mail today, there's a notice from Hollywood OS saying the CDs for the movie Walk Hard, they're looking for women who have that 1950's look. I think I do, and I'd love to submit. But, I just started a new temp assignment yesterday that seems to have an indefinite time frame, at least one week, maybe two maybe more. SO I CAN'T SUBMIT!! AAAUUUGGGHHHHH!!! At least my assignment pays $12/hr. Nice to have the solid income. And Abigail Abbott will be flexible with me if I get an audition, as long as I give them notice. Maybe I'll ask them if I can submit for this background job...maybe not. Financially, it makes more sense to give the temp job priority. Anyhow.
There's much more going on, but I don't have time to write about it right now...soon, my pretties, soon!

3 comments:

krt said...

I was just updating myself on your camcorder woes. I know there's a ton of information out there, and few answers to help you weed through what you need and what you don't. Here's my take on it, having worked quite a few shoots by now.

If you're buying the camcorder for practice and reel purposes, don't sweat it too much. For the most part, it ain't the camera, it's the operator that matters. Get something relatively economical (if you can spring for a 3 chip camera, get it), read the manual front to back, and PRACTICE using it. DV is fine, they almost all come standard with a firewire interface, easy as heck to load on your 'puter. Windows Movie Maker, while not being the greatest or most powerful of editing packages, is readily serviceable and a great learning to tool when it comes to editing. You'll get the basics down with it no problem.

XP will give you a few better features working with your new camera. Don't worry about Vista. Sounds like your machine won't handle it well anyway. (Almost everyone has to upgrade.) It won't be standard for a few years yet. But as long as you can get footage in your hard drive, who cares?

Tripods. Buy the cheapest $20 or less one you can find. Fancy tripods are handy when someone is operating it. If you're filming yourself all it needs to do is hold the camera in place. Robert Rodriguez filmed El Mariachi with a crappy broken tripod.

As far as lighting/sound goes, there's tons of stuff on the web to help you out, and help you out on the cheap. Start here:

http://www.sonnyboo.com/downloads/filmmaker.htm

I'm sure someone will tell you I'm completely wrong. There are as many opinions as there are people out there. If you have $500 or less to spend, spend it all on the camera and use all the other freebies you can find. Don't worry too much over all the options. Keep it simple.

Hope that helps. Sorry it was so long.

Anonymous said...

stopping by for a visit...I haven't been here very regularly. I have had relatives at my house for the last two weeks. I haven't had much computer time. LOL!!

Quiet Entertainer said...

Hey, I just found your blog. I recently read Bob Fraser's material and was seeing if anyone else online had read his stuff. Anyway, best wishes on your endeavors and I hope that finances and schedules will match up in the way you need them too!