Pros & Cons

Okay, I spent 45 minutes writing this same post on Friday night, and when I posted, none of what I had written got posted, just the title, and it was all lost. Hopefully this time it will stick.
I'm considering asking my Abigail Abbott co-ordinator if I can take the temp assignment I'm currently on and officially make it temp-to-hire. I'm still at the same place as last time I posted, they're looking for someone permanent for the position. I was told the assignment would last until they found someone to fill the position. But I get the feeling they like me, and so are in no hurry to find someone else just yet.
Here are the pros and cons.
PROS -- Taking the office job as a permanent position
1. I've got a great pay rate.
2. I get a steady paycheck I can count on every week.
3. There are probably benefits since it's a full time job (I haven't even looked into this yet.)
4. The job is low stress.
5. There's a beautiful park 10 minutes away where I can eat my lunch and take a walk after. (We get an hour lunch).
6. I'll have a regular work schedule that will make it easier to plan and follow through on other goals.
7. I'll still have freedom to audition for Student films and such.
8. I can audition for theater without worrying about what I'll have to do for work if I get cast.
9. It's close to home, a short drive.
10. I'll have more time and energy to play with my camcorder (which I still haven't bought yet) and work on my audition skills and scenework and such.
CONS -- Taking the office job as a permanent position
1. I'll be disconnecting myself from the TV/film industry by not working on set every day.
2. I won't have as much of an opportunity to network with people in the business.
3. I'll be losing the opportunity to get my SAG vouchers.
4. Office work is SO BORING!
PROS -- Working as a Background Actor
1. I'll be on a set 3-4 days per week, which will help keep me connected to my goals.
2. There's a greater opportunity to meet & network with people in the industry.
3. There's a chance I can get my SAG vouchers or get Taft-Hartleyed.
4. I enjoy working on a set so much more than office work.
5. Free food, and at least one free meal every day I work. Usually.
CONS -- Working as a Background Actor
1. Non-Union gets paid minimum wage.
2. My new-to-me car has a bigger gas tank and gets less MPG than my old car, driving into LA (60-90 miles round trip) for a minimum wage job doesn't seem to make much sense. (Approximation: $40 a week for gas to earn $200 a week?)
3. Irregular work days and hours.
4. Early frickin' mornings. Late frickin' nights.
5. Schlepping half my closet with me to set (sometimes a 15 minute walk) so that wardrobe can pick what they want me to wear.
6. I'm not ready to join SAG yet, I need to get more experience on my resume first.
7. Don't really get to work on my acting skills, learn about myself as an actor.
So there you have all the factors I'm taking into consideration. But one thought occured to me tonight that kind of seals the deal. If I weren't living with my parents, who have been kind enough to allow me to miss my rent payments since last summer, I would have no choice, I'd have to take this job. If I stick with this job, I'll be able to pay my bills and rent easily, and have money to spare each month. And I need to stop relying on my parents to save me financially. So I guess I should see if I can get switched to temp-to-hire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

making those hard choices...I have had to make a few in my life time.

Anonymous said...

We wanted to let you and film enthusiasts know about a new service for all filmmakers and film students that can be seen on www.mymovienetwork.com We are running film contests right now for cash and prizes and we have a place for filmmakers and film festivals to promote their work, events, have a profile and portfolio, use scouting features, write blogs, interact with others through private messages and much more.

magickat said...

wow that's a lot of pros and cons... there's good and bad to both izzlebizzle.

can we just make money obsolete? that would make life SO MUCH EASIER!!!