One of my blog friends wrote in a comment: "can we just make money obsolete? that would make life SO MUCH EASIER!!! " Absolutely!! I'm SO with you, one hundred and ten percent on that one! I've been wishing that with all my heart since I graduated from high school and had to start working. Money is so disconnected from the true value of life, from the important things.
So, I got to brainstorming last night, and I realized that with the amount of money I'm making at my temp job, I can afford to go to the DAW at The Acting Corps every Sunday evening. (My long time readers will remember the DAW from last summer) I am so freaking excited!! That thought alone was enough to get me on the phone this morning with my temp co-ordinator to find out if the position could become temp-to-hire.
I also realized I could get together with my acting friends on a regular basis and we could practice all sorts of stuff. One of the ideas I had was to work on objectives by using open scenes. We'd each pick a verb or objective, and run the open scene attempting to achieve the objective. A simple exercise that also got me really excited, because that is one of my weakest points as an actor, choosing an objective and following through with it. And after a while, we could start working with scenes.
When I got home last night, with all of these wonderful ideas running through my head, I found myself singing Hot Night by Laura Brannigan. Specifically:
No stopping us now,
We've got to stay in motion!
We're too full of fire, too full of emotion!
The lyrics are perfect for my sense of determination to hold tight and move forward with my acting goals. That happens to me a lot, actually, I'll find myself singing a song with the perfect lyrics for what I'm feeling at that moment. Sometimes, I'll find myself singing a song that surprises me, because I didn't realize I was feeling that way until I became aware of what I was singing.
Anyhow, going back to the temp-to-hire subject. I told my co-ordinator that I was interested in a permanent position with the company, as long as they'd be flexible enough to allow me to take time off to audition and film when I actually get cast in something. (Operative word there "when". Not "if". When.) She said that it seemed better for me just to continue temping for them indefinitely. It wasn't fair to ask them to make a commitment to me if I couldn't make a commitment to them. But she said she'd let them know I did want to stay indefinitely, and that I was open to becoming permanent if they'd be willing to allow me to audition. She said they really like me, and keep extending my assignment. So, the calm, quiet voice from yesterday was right. I will have this position as long as I need it.
And the interesting thing is, once again, I have asked and the Universe has provided. I focused on becoming better off financially, and here I am at this job that pays really well. Thank You!
No comments:
Post a Comment