Role Models

Wednesday, Aug. 06, 2003 - 8:14 pm
(Original posting on http://irmabelle.diaryland.com)

I was watching John Travolta on "Inside the Actor's Studio" last night, and I realized that he's one of my role models too! I've always admired him as an actor, and after seeing his interview, I admire him as a person. He's got a wonderfully positive attitude towards his career and life, and I believe he's got a solid marriage as well, tabloids don't follow him around, he's well respected overall. So, YAY! I've got another role model!

I was talking with my family about role models the other day, I was curious how important they felt it was for a role model to have a similar personal life to what you want as well as a similar career. I've been thinking that's a fairly important point, because you get what you wish for. If I focus on an actor who's career is awesome, but who's personal life is a mess, my life might turn out the same way. So I bounced this idea off my family, and the idea that I feel I need a woman role model. My Mom's opinion was that I'm thinking too much about it, that a role model should be someone who touches me, not someone I analyze and say, okay, this is my role model. My sister's opinion is that it's not about the actual facts of a person's life, it's what they do with it. For example, Drew Barrymore had all that trouble with drugs and drinking, but she cleaned up her act, and look where she's at now! The choices she's made in her life, that's what's important. That's how I came to realize that John Travolta is one of my role models, because even though he hasn't always been in the best movies, he's maintained his positive attitude, and he's been working even if the movies he was in weren't well liked.

No comments: