Fences at SCR

Sunday, January 31st, 2010


This weekend, I received an invitation (Thank you again!) to South Coast Repertory's current production of Fences by August Wilson, running Jan 22nd - Feb 21st. Check out SCR's YouTube Channel to watch a couple of scenes.

I am at somewhat of a loss about what to write. This is a high-quality production, the entire cast is top notch as always, and the play is very well written (I can see why it won the Pulitzer Prize and a Tony for Best Play) – but in spite of all that, I some how failed to connect with it emotionally. I tend to think the reason for this lies within myself and not the production, because the rest of the audience was very vocal in it's reactions to the comedic and dramatic moments of the play.

Troy (Charlie Robinson) in August Wilson’sFences, at South Coast Repertory January 22-February 21, 2010.  Photo: Henry DiRocco/SCR.

Charlie Robinson (best known as Mac on Night Court) plays the central character Troy Maxson, a former star baseball player in the Negro League turned garbage man, fighting for his right to drive a truck instead of lifting trash cans. Fences revolves around him, the bitterness of his life experiences, and his determination to protect his family from the same disappointments. Troy has “a bit of Uncle Remus” about him, his friend Bono says, as Troy takes center stage most of the play to tell his stories, both entertaining big fish stories and intensely real life experiences. Robinson brought these stories to life with the charisma of a true story teller.



Rose (Juanita Jennings) and Troy (Charlie Robinson) in August Wilson’s Fences, at South Coast Repertory January 22-February 21, 2010.  Photo: Henry DiRocco/SCR.


Although this play was written as a reflection of the African-American experience in the 1950's, the story that unfolds between the family members -- father and son, husband and wife, brothers, and friends -- is universal and timeless.


The part that sticks with me is Troy's description of his father - "He had the devil in his eyes" - and then later, the same devil is in Troy's eyes as he fiercely reprimands his son for wanting to play football. Robinson threw himself into this with no holds barred.


Troy (Charlie Robinson), Rose (Juanita Jennings) and Gabe (Baron Kelly) in August Wilson’s Fences, at South Coast Repertory January 22-February 21, 2010.  Photo: Henry DiRocco/SCR.


I also was touched by Baron Kelly's portrayal of Troy's mentally disabled brother Gabe. Kelly brought a deeply rooted honesty to Gabe's simplicity.


I wish I had been able to connect with this play more. It is really a deeply affecting story, rolling on the floor laughing at one moment, intense and dangerous at the next. Don't pass this performance by simply because of my lack of whatever it is that prevented me from becoming more involved in the story and the characters.

Home

No comments: