What Makes An Ordinary Day Extraordinary? at SCR


Earlier this month, I was invited to see the West Coast Premiere of the musical Ordinary Days at South Coast Repertory. Thank you once again, to those who invited me! 


I really, really enjoyed the show! There is so much I loved about it, I'm not even sure where to start writing. Check out the South Coast Rep YouTube channel to watch some scenes from Ordinary Days and interviews with the cast and crew.


Everything was top-notch, the writing & music, the actors, the set, all of it. This musical is a story told in song, with very little diaglogue. The only musical accompaniment is a piano -- which I didn't notice until the pianist was revealed on stage after a few songs had already been performed, and after that it didn't matter that it wasn't a full orchestra.









Nick Gabriel and David Burnham in Adam's Gwon's musical Ordinary Days
Jan 3-24 at South Coast Repertory.  Photo by Henry DiRocco/SCR



I think Adam Gwon's writing of the story and the songs is wonderful, a simple story with a simple message subtly told. As a performer turned writer (isn't it usually the other way around?) Gwon is able to skillfully place actor's moments within the writing and singing of the songs.


Gwon's music captured a feeling of contstant rushing and traffic jams, which I supposed must be how New York feels since I've never been. But there were moments where his music and lyrics reminded me of Stephen Sondheim (Into The Woods), and other more intimate moments that reminded me of Stephen Schwarz (Wicked!).


There are only four actors in the cast, and all four in the SCR production are superb! I love the honesty and passion they each bring to their parts.


Deborah S. Craig and Nick Gabriel in Adam's Gwon's musical Ordinary Days, Jan 3-24 at South Coast Repertory.  
Photo by Henry DiRocco/SCR.


First we introduced to Warren (played by Nick Gabriel) - a care-free dreamer who wanders the streets of New York handing out multi-colored flyers. I love that Gabriel brought a sweet quirkiness to the character, and his honesty and subtlety in the role was perfect.


Next comes Deb (played by Deborah S. Craig) - a ferocious and intense grad student, who would rather be anywhere than where she actually is. Craig is absolutely hilarious in this role, bringing the character's intensity to the edge of desperation. (I know that doesn't sound funny, but it is really very comically played.)










Nancy Anderson and David Burnham in Adam's Gwon's musical Ordinary Days, Jan 3-24 at South Coast Repertory.  Photo by Henry DiRocco/SCR.

Then Jason (played by David Burnham) bounces on stage, jubilant that he's finally moving in with his girlfriend Claire. Burnham is touchingly vulnerable as the man in love, it's easy to understand how Jason is feeling as each circumstance unfolds.

And lastly we meet Claire, Jason's girlfriend, (played by Nancy Anderson) who is having mixed feelings about the direction their relationship is taking. Anderson is so wonderfully and deeply honest in this role, I found it easy to empathize with her, even though it wasn't always obvious why her character makes the choices she makes.




Each of these characters is wonderfully complex, and their stories are individually unique. The relationship between Claire & Jason is by turns touching and heartbreaking. The story between Deb and Warren is hilarious and uplifting.







Ordinary Days is performed on the Julianne Arygos Stage at SCR, which is a perfect venue for it. The stage is small and cozy, which almost guarantees that every seat in the house is close enough to the stage for you to really connect with the actors, and see all the wonderful subtleties they bring to their performance. But in order to create the feeling of crowded and vast at the same time (Also New York?) the set is a three story tall frame work that at times represents Claire and Jason's apartment, or Deb's dorm room, or Starbucks, or the Met. Lighting and slides are used to further create the ambiance of the current setting. Such a brilliant use of space!






I wish I had been able to post this blog at the beginning of the month, but there are still 9 performances left between now and Jan 24th -- This show is worth your time to go see! =)








Home

1 comment:

Emory Rundle said...

It sounds like it was a great night. I am hoping that I will be seeing some shows soon.