So I just watched Mad Dog And Glory on Hulu (it expires in a couple of days) -- and I desperately wanted to write a review of it, but somehow my post on the Hulu discussion board got stuck in processing. So I'll post my review here. (BTW, if you've never seen it, I highly recommend it!)
Unexpected, But In A Really Good Way! (5 stars)
Not at all what I expected, but I still really enjoyed this movie!What I expected:Light and goofy Bill Murray comedy, with Murray in the role of the police detective who saves the ganster's life, and then has to juggle the woman given to him as a thank you "gift".What I got:A quietly quirky dramatic movie with surprising depth and complex, interesting characters.A movie starring Robert De Niro cast in an role against type -- an akward, sensitive, quiet man who has a hard time standing up for himself and what he knows is right.A movie co-starring Bill Murray, also cast against type, in a much more adult role than I've seen him before (and to be honest, I haven't seen many of his movies - Ghostbusters, What About Bob?, Living the Life Aquatic, Lost In Translation) -- But WOW he did a great job in this role, as the seemingly sensitive mob boss who's actually very cold and dangerous when it comes to business.I love these types of movies that give us an opportunity to see actors in a different type of role than we'd normally see them!Plus a young Uma Thurman, before her sexy goddess phase and a young David Caruso, long before NYPD Blue. (Not that I've ever watched that show either.)Everything about this movie was unexpected, but in such a good way!
I have also become a fan of Cillian Murphy. I've seen him in several movies now, and I'm more and more impressed with his honesty and skill with each movie I see him in. He's one of those actors that it's immensely interesting to watch him listening to the other actors, or even just watch him thinking, he's just so connected and alive in the moment.
2 comments:
ill have to check this stuff out hope all is well!
L
leadingladyla.blogspot.com
Hi Laura,
Thanks for your comment! =) Sorry it's taken me so long to publish it.
Post a Comment